Backing up 1:1 copies, oh my, more questions!

HiBob

I was reading my old post of mine from: http://dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=42332

and was wondering the following:

I am now using DVDFab Decrypter to take Accross protection off. Do I still need to use ifoedit? Does DVDFab Decrypter take care of this? So is just rip with DVDFab Decrypter and then burn using nero in DVD-UDF/ISO mode?

Answered the below myself :D
Also: I was wondering about the nero settings I am using, I seem to remember a tut by chickenMan that outlined the settings used in Nero to burn 1:1 copies, including compatibility with XBOX playback, can someone find this tut or is it gone?

Thanks again, after this info I'm thinking of writing a tut on how to do 1:1 backups, which burner is easiest to use in my opinion and which media is easiest to use thanks to Pc Guy's help.

Thanks again guys and have a happy new year.

Last edited:
CloneDVD is like any transcoder, it may be easy to use but you get poor to average results. If you want better than average to excellent quality then the use of a quality encoder is needed. CCE is such an encoder.

HiBob

can someone please answer my question, which has been asked above?

In chickenman's tutorial (http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=26515) it says for 1:1 copies of dvd5's (which I am now applying to dvd9's) you have to rip then use ifoedit and then burn with nero for 1:1 copies. Since this tutorial new protection has been released such as ARccOS with my movie layer cake.

The free solution to get around this is DVDFab Decrypter, does this program take care of the ifoedit thing or not?

As posted above:
I am now using DVDFab Decrypter to take Accross protection off. Do I still need to use ifoedit? Does DVDFab Decrypter take care of this? So is just rip with DVDFab Decrypter and then burn using nero in DVD-UDF/ISO mode?

I'd love to pm you chickenMan, but your sig seems to frown upon this. Can you tell me if my method (DVDFab Decrypter -> HD -> Nero Burn using DVD-UDF/ISO mode), will render results that will work with most dvd players and 1:1 backup of the movie in terms of image stats (ie no loss of data, no compression, as if I were watching the original)? (I have set my bitsetting for DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM)

Also chickenman: you say the following in your tutorial: "Nero 6.0.xx has just so many varying problems, I do not recommend it for DVDR burning, it may be good for other burning jobs, just not DVDR's. This may change in the future however."
I have nero 6.6.0.18, will this render good burn results with the Verbatim spindle that I am looking at buying (refer to media forum)? Ie, has nero 6.x.x.x changed since then?
Is there an msn, aim or skype handle you have? There are so many questions I wouldn't mind being answered and the forum is a lengthy way of Q&A and as you can see my main question in the original thread post has not even been answered after at least two members (including yourself) have viewed it. I would be willing to write a tutorial after I talked to you now that DVD9's are not bad in terms of price etc.

Last edited:
HiBob said:
can someone please answer my question, which has been asked above?

In chickenman's tutorial (http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=26515) it says for 1:1 copies of dvd5's (which I am now applying to dvd9's) you have to rip then use ifoedit and then burn with nero for 1:1 copies. Since this tutorial new protection has been released such as ARccOS with my movie layer cake.

The free solution to get around this is DVDFab Decrypter, does this program take care of the ifoedit thing or not?
For doing 1:1 copies of DVD9's I would suggest you use DVD43 (or AnyDVD) as the Arccos remover and make an ISO image with DVD Decrypter and burn the ISO out with DVD Decrypter also. There then should be no need to use IfoEdit.

and then burn using nero in DVD-UDF/ISO mode?
Use UDF/ISO mode only for early versions of Nero. For Nero 6.6.x.x or 7.x use DVD-Video mode. This will get the best playback compatabilty.

I'd love to pm you chickenMan, but your sig seems to frown upon this.
Good to see someone can read :)

Can you tell me if my method (DVDFab Decrypter -> HD -> Nero Burn using DVD-UDF/ISO mode), will render results that will work with most dvd players and 1:1 backup of the movie in terms of image stats (ie no loss of data, no compression, as if I were watching the original)? (I have set my bitsetting for DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM)
Its important that the layerbrake point is not changed from the original, making an ISO image with DVD Decrypter and burning it assures it is not altered or changed. Bitsetting to DVD-ROM is also the way to go :)

I have nero 6.6.0.18, will this render good burn results with the Verbatim spindle that I am looking at buying (refer to media forum)? Ie, has nero 6.x.x.x changed since then?
Stick with 6.6.x, the changes since then are minimal and really no change with regards to DVDR burning. I doubt you will find any better DVD+DL media than Verbatim at the moment either.

Is there an msn, aim or skype handle you have? There are so many questions I wouldn't mind being answered and the forum is a lengthy way of Q&A and as you can see my main question in the original thread post has not even been answered after at least two members (including yourself) have viewed it. I would be willing to write a tutorial after I talked to you now that DVD9's are not bad in terms of price etc.
I have less and less time available to devote to forums these day and even less time to devote to updating of tutorials. I also thought with all the Shrink/CloneDVD/Dvd2One/etc transcoders around and their simple and easy use, that most people use them. Quality is not a consideration when they do a backup and for those people, I just simply cant (nor want to) help them. I'd also suggest you check out 2 other products, DVDREasy (there is a separate forum for that here) and DVD ReBuilder, both really make my tutorials obsolete. I have sent you a PM with my MSN details, you might be able to catch me online.

Last edited:

HiBob

Ok, so I have started ripping using DVD Decrypter with anydvd running in the background.

questions:
My setting in DD for iso mode are as follows:
File Splitting: Auto
DVD +RW Capacity: File System
All "Remove" buttons are checked including: Create MDS File, if I uncheck this it warns me about creating DL backups and they won't be as close to the original disc as intended.

Under CSS tab, I have "Detect Mastering Errors" checked.

First Question: Are there any other tabs that I should make sure I have checked to make as close as possible, a 1:1 backup copy? I don't really know what to be asking, therefore direction here would be nice. If I hadn't asked chickenman over msn about the detect mastering errors, then it wouldn't have been checked, can anyone think of any other options to enable/disable?

Second Question: When the ISO file is created, there is a MDS file created along with it. Does nero read this mds file, to make sure that the DL backups are made properly?

If nero does NOT read this mds file (which I think is the case), there is an updated program, which is like the burning part of DD, called ImgBurn (current version 1.1.0.0), what settings do I need to make sure I have enable/disabled in this program, as I have no clue how to use it.

Thanks again to chickenman, who has put up with me on MSN

I would love help with this, thanks again,

peace,

HiBob

If you're using Dvd Decrypter with AnyDVD running in the background for dual layer back-ups there are few settings you need to worry about.

For the iso read mode, you should use Elby CDIO as the I/O model and you should disable the settings for structural protection removal in Dvd Decrypter (that's right, disable them as AnyDVD will be doing that for you and Dvd Decrypter will see the disc as unprotected anyway). Make sure that you have the setting to make an .mds file checked (that's where the layer break info is stored) and otherwise just use the default settings.

So far as writing is concerned, you can use either Dvd Decrypter or ImgBurn with the default settings and all will be fine so long as you use decent dual layer media (that means Verbatim btw since all other d/l media is substandard) and so long as you load the image for burning from the .mds file. It really can't get much easier.

HiBob

thanks for the reply stone_burner, couple of questions:
Why is Elby CDIO better?
And if I just leave "Remove IFO Structure protection" option checked will the do anything bad to the rip?

Thanks again for answering my questions I really appreciate it :D

Why is Elby CDIO better?
And if I just leave "Remove IFO Structure protection" option checked will the do anything bad to the rip?
It's a question of compatibilty. It's not a good idea to try to have AnyDVD accessing your drives via Elby CDIO whilst another program simultaneously tries to access the same drives via Aspi or SPTI.

Further, you should uncheck the "Remove IFO Structure protection" option because you don't want Dvd Decrypter to make the attempt in the case of any recent ARcoSS protected disc because it will fail. What you want is for AnyDVD to do its job in the background without any interference from another program.