AVI to SVCD HELP

Juked

I have all 13 episodes of The simpsons Season 1 and want to be able to put them onto SVCD. I know I have to convert them to mpeg 2. What is the best way to do this with all my episodes?

Thanks in advance.

Juked
Convert your avi´s to mpeg2/svcd with Tmpeg or Main Concept or with your favorite encoder in batch encode and then burn the mpegs with Nero as SVCD
streetwise:
A Video-CD PAL is: MPEG-1 352x288 25fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps
and
a Super Video-CD PAL is: MPEG-2 480x576 25fps CBR 2520kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps
There is much better quality as you see.

Batch is hardly individually, but it will still take hours.

You might also want to check out the tutes section.

Also SVCD video bitrate is not locked at CBR 2520kbps.

SVCD is better quality but generally requires more discs. How long is an Episode though? Source res is also important. If the source is low res then there will be no quality gain from going with SVCD.

Juked

Each episode is 140mb around 24 mins. Just to get things cleared up, a SVCD is using a DVD-R right?

No the CD in SVCD stands for CD. It therefor goes on a CD.

24mins, that would mean 3 per VCD or probably two per SVCD.

For DVD-R, you would convert to a DVD. DVD complaint resolutons are 720x576/480, 704x576/480, 352x576/480 and 352x288/240. You will notice that SVCD res is not listed. You could however use it anyway if you wanted. Won't work on all players though.

What is the actual resolution of the encodes? 512x384?

Juked

When I use Boilsoft to VCD/SVCD/DVD, And when I select convert to DVD, it converts my 140 meg AVI file to a 35 meg file that I can't even play in winamp... Should mpeg2 be getting bigger? And yes, I have the full version.

Yeah, should be much bigger than 35MB's. Guess the program is screwing up.

You might want to check the tutes section for AVI to DVD instructions. Could also try FitCD to create an AVISynth script for you, then encode with QuEnc which is 100% free. Only way I think though to batch process with it would be to run it from the commandline.