avi mpeg file no sound help

Downloaded an avi file from Kazaa Lite. As soon as I opened the file with window media player and there was no sound on it just video. Then I tried again with DivX Player 2.0 Alpha. Same things happened all over again. So, I opened another avi file in my HD and there were no problems. Is there anything wrong with the file I downloaded ?

2 posibilities:

1. The file doesn't have an audio stream.
How 2 check: open with VirtualDub/NanDub and open File--> File Information...
If the audio size is 0 ...

2. Don't have the necesary audio codec. Usualy what is missing is:
DivX ;-) Audio Codec (old mp3 version used with DivX 3.11 Alpha) or AC3 (codec for 5+1 channels).

I opened the file with VirtualDub v1.4.9 to check wether the audio file is missing and here is what I found :

Sampling rate: 48000Hz
Channels: 2 stereo
Sample precision:0-bit
Compression:Unknown[tag2000]
Preload skew:12000sample[0.25s]
#Of frames:76019
Min/avg/max/total frame size: 12/1001/12000[74321K]

Is there anything that I can make the audio to work?

gamesfanatic said:
Compression:Unknown[tag2000]
The above line described the codec used to decode audio track.
I'm not sure, and i'm not in position to check now, but I think you will nedd AC3 codec (even if this time use only 2 channels).
Try to download from:
h**p://w*w.divx-digest.com/software/dvd2cd_pack.html
the DVD2CD Codec & Filter Pack. Install it in your system.
Note:
1. doesn't work on NT 4.0
2. restart your system after install.

I'll attach here the DivX ;) Audio Codec too (just in case).

Attachments

Last edited:
If its a recent movie in the DivX, its likely to be AC3 audio. Load the AVI into Nandub (from _www.doom9.org), set Audio to Full Processing Mode, select Audio Compression to be MP3 (at say 44.1, 128bit Stereo). Set Video to Direct Stream Copy then go to File and hit Save AVI. In a short time, you will then have a "normal" DivX with MP3 sound playable on just about any player.

Actually the divx movie I downloaded is Hart's war and this is the first time ever I encounter such a problem like this. No wonder I coudn't hear no sound at all just video. Thanks a lot guys. Without your help I don't think I could get it to work.