AVI joining

Converting wav to ac3 is not a problem. The problem is knowing how to create a script for the purpose of joining. I take it notepad could be used, and then would this be saved as an .avs file as a plugin?
Then how would I execute the command? Through what application?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions....poor you!

Much appreciated
M
XXX

No point going from AC3-->wav-->AC3, waste of time and quality. When dealing with lossy formats like AC3 the less re-encoding the better.

Yeah, notepad is fine.

AVS is just a script, not a plugin. Those are DLL files although a script can be autoloaded by giving it the extension avsi and putting it in the plugin directory.

Just treat your AVS as an AVI, play it in windows media player or other dshow based players (should always do this before encoding), open it as a video source in CCE (this is what DVD2SVCD does anyway), TMPGEnc, etc. There are however some apps that won't like it, for these you can try ffVFW's makeAVIS util to change the AVS into a fake AVI.

Reading between the lines this is no quick fix if you have no understanding of a scripted formula for joining video, especially when formats aren't identical.
A tutorial for beginners is what i'm looking for......CM ? :)

Joining 2 identical avi's with virtualdub/NanDub is no problem, although when appending a third for some reason the resulting audio is way out of sync ??

I tried CM's solutuion again of encoding each and authoring as 2 separate movies by linking the end action of movie 1 to the start of movie 2...there is quite a noticable pause. Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry for being such a pain, I appreciate your patience and time.

Love
Emma
xxx

"I tried CM's solutuion again of encoding each and authoring as 2 separate movies by linking the end action of movie 1 to the start of movie 2...there is quite a noticable pause. Am I doing something wrong?"

I always put a chapter point as close to the end of Movie1 and then connect the end of that chapter to the start of Movie 2. I have never ever seen any pause what so ever during playback on the PC or DVD Player.

The battle continues, still no joy :(
To make the picture a little clearer this is what I'm trying to achieve and what I've done so far:

I've 3 avi's of approx equal size (original source). The movie has the end 5 minutes of the movie missing. A tad frustrating to sit through a 3 hour epic not knowing how it finishes. So my thought was to edit the last missing 5 minutes from my origianl and add it to the third avi, hence the trouble I had converting the clip to a matching avi. Once joined, then to encode into two equal parts for authoring to DVD....I was up for the challenge but didn't realise how much farting about was involved.

Joining 2 avi's with VDub is a piece of cake but not 3 avi's for some reason?
joining 2 avis to fit on one disc meant a drop in quality. So, I split avi 2....the first half to join the end of avi 1 and the second half to join at the beginning of avi 3....No problem, very quick and in perfect sync! This gave me roughly 2 equal parts for encoding.

My problem is the joining of the 5 min clip. This was encoded for joining or authoring as a separate movie as CM suggested.
Tried placing a chapter at the end of movie 1 to link with movie 2 (clip)
but still I get this pause ????

Also tried joining two 'bbmeg_muxed.mpg' (created with DVD2SVCD) using
TMPGEnc (mpeg tools), then 'Simple De-Multixplexing' for authoring.
However, after authoring (DVD Maestro) the video/audio was way out of sync.
So this is my current position.

Got to get the kids to bed now....no rest for the wicked.

M
XXX

I have encoded my Two Towers extended version from the 2 DVD's to 1 dvd using my Tutorial method but increasing number of passes to 3 (I did remove the last 10min or so of the fan club members scrolling list, not very entertaining :( ) It has come out fantastic so I see no reason why you cant do the same.

I would NEVER ever use TMPGenc to join two MPEG2 files together, to many problems as you found out. Try MPEG-VCR instead.

Another way is to use DVDLab (or TMPGEnc DVD Author) to author the MPEG files as is without demuxing or joining and link the end & start together. Worth a try.

Only draw back with the Mpeg option is that I'm losing my 5.1 ac3. The 'bbmeg_muxed.mpg' is mpa 2 channel.

Would joining just the M2v with mpeg-vcr then muxing my original extracted ac3 work? Just wondering about the overall size of this. And would mpeg-vcr retain the originlal frame rate to match my separate ac3?

Another option I've heard about is 'Procoder', to stich together the avi's. Have you tried this prog CM?

XXX
M

Emmaxxx said:
Another option I've heard about is 'Procoder', to stich together the avi's. Have you tried this prog CM?

XXX
M
Yep, but it sooooooooo slowwwwwwwwww even on a high end PC. Just not worth the wait in my opinion.

As for using DVDLab, when you load in the MPG say yes to demuxing the file. Once its in, delete the MP2 audio and replace it with your AC3.

YIPEEEEEE !

Sorted at long last....what a relief!!!

Thanx a bunch guys you've been most helpfull and very patient.

Love you loads
Emma
xxx

Good to hear it finally worked for ya. So can you please explain how you finally got it to work (from the 27 suggestions given above :D ) ?

ifur12

Have the same general problem you have described,
how about sharing your insight with the rest of us.
As CM mentions of all the solutions offered which one
worked and some details.

Knowledge is only appreciated if you share it!! :rolleyes: