AVI errors - how to fix them?

I have some avi's that have errors in them.

They are divx endoded and when I try to play them, they will start but later freeze. It is possible to fast forward them past the error and they will play again, only to freeze at the next error :(

It's bad to play these files but it's impossible to burn them to VCD.

I have tried ripping the audio with virtualdub and using that as the source in TMPenc but that didn't work either.

Is there any way of correcting these errors?
(Have tried Divx Fix - but no joy)

It is probably extreme, but could I decomplie these files with the appropriate video editting software and then recompile? Or would that not help?

if the DivX avi's you have are crap, then you can only produce crap with them lol.
Sorry but better luck next time.
About the only solution I see is re-encoding the divx to another divx lol, which isn't a good idea, or by using virtualdub/nandub and try cutting out parts that are bad, but you will still be missing part of the movie/video.
In this instance I think best to just scrap those avi's. Try to get them from a better source.
Good luck

As Shadoe said, if possible try and get another copy of the movie. But that is not possible, I have recoverd these difficult problems by re-encoding to a DivX again. Use ONLY Nandub (get it from the download section of _www.doom9.net).

Load AVI in, set Video to Full Proccessing Mode then in SBC Options, click SBC Settings, select MPEG4v2 and set Bitrate to 1000. Tick on Antifreeze.

Then in Options / Preferences / AVI tick on "Ignore errors from shitty input..."

Then go to File and click Save AVI, give a different name and shortly you will have a new AVI with no freezing. Use this new file with TMPGEnc as usual to convert to a VCD.

or find a program called "avidefreezer" and use it to actually fix the bad sections (fixs crcs etc) . the fixed frames will contain some crap (how much depends on how bad they are). the rest though will be streamed so you lose 0% quality. it also only takes a minute or so.

Yeah shadoe_phantom's right I did mean divfix.

Thanks for the feedback though ya, and everyone else. Much appreciated - such a top forum this ;)