AVG Free Edition 6.0

With AVG 6.0 Free Edition and you will be able to use it without any limitations for life of the product. However you must agree to the AVG Free Edition license agreement and fill in the simple questionaire form.

Main Features:
- AVG Resident Protection
- AVG Email Scanner
- AVG On-Demand Scanner
- Scheduled Tests
- Free Virus Database Updates
- Automatic Update feature
- Easy-To-Use Interface
- Automatic Healing of infected files
- AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files
Homepage

RASTABT said:
With AVG 6.0 Free Edition and you will be able to use it without any limitations for life of the product. However you must agree to the AVG Free Edition license agreement and fill in the simple questionaire form.

Main Features:
- AVG Resident Protection
- AVG Email Scanner
- AVG On-Demand Scanner
- Scheduled Tests
- Free Virus Database Updates
- Automatic Update feature
- Easy-To-Use Interface
- Automatic Healing of infected files
- AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files
Homepage
Is this one really any good? I`ve had it for some time now and it`s never really detected anything.Maybe that`s a good thing because I`ve always kept it up to date....

The life of the product may now be rather short - depending on how long they run the free V6 in parallel with the V7 with no free version - or if they choose to release a free version of V7

Yes..I've been using AVG 6 (free version) for some time now with excellent results.It has a small footprint,fast scanning,easy to configure.I'm sure there are better out there,but it has worked flawlessly for me on 4 computers. :)

Yeah,I`d been using AVG 6.0 free for some time now and it didn`t seem to detect anything.However,I then decided to try Avast for the first time...Avast detected TWO nestling neatly in my hidden _RESTORE folder...They may have been there for some time but AVG did not detect them. Think I`ll stick with Avast for the time being then...

Hmmm..interesting.It's been catching lots of stuff on the kid's computer. ;) Also caught a virus that was sent to me by a Norton user(he didn't know the file was infected).Maybe I'll try Avast too..Thanks Plextorman. :)

Avast is very good(imho:)) Just remember to turn off sounds, or atleast be aware its there, gave me quite a jolt first time i tried it :)

banzibaby said:
Hehehe yep, Avast has voices tellin U U are infected, mind U the womans voice is kinda sexy:p

BaNzI:D
LOL!!

Gave it try.. it didn't find anything.Went back to AVG.I don't have system restore enabled,uses too much resources for my liking.

Yeah, I reckon I'll stick with AVG until they drop support for the free version. I used InnoculateIT PE (just the Oz Vet anti-virus proggy under a new name after it got taken over by Computer Associates) for a couple of years until CA dropped support for the free version and then switched to AVG.

Unfortunately, since there isn't a free version of AVG 7, it looks likely that support for the free version will be dropped some time in the next few months.

Still it's good to know that when they do, there's a good free alternative in Avast. :)

Yep, mind U, U have 2 configure it right as by default it dont scan opened/created files, but vit easy 2 set it 2 scan all files, just put a * in the other extentions box :) I beeen usin the pro version 4 about 4 months now & no complaints

plextorman said:
Yeah,I`d been using AVG 6.0 free for some time now and it didn`t seem to detect anything.However,I then decided to try Avast for the first time...Avast detected TWO nestling neatly in my hidden _RESTORE folder...They may have been there for some time but AVG did not detect them. Think I`ll stick with Avast for the time being then...
Thanks bud!!Will be switching to Avast when AVG6 support is dropped.Looks like a good(maybe better) alternative. :)

Due to free software often going Shareware or Pay only, I'll stick to NAV CE for awhile. I don't seem to have issues with it like others here do - or maybe the others are using the home version and not the corporate; at any rate, I set it to check for updates daily, and has caught several viruses so far.
Used to use McAfee, but it got behind the power curve. At least Symantec is quick on new updates (you can d/l the latest ones every day via ftp manually also).

Hehehe ipdave that avatar is disturbing, keep waitin 4 it 2 say heeerrrreee's johnney lol:p

Yep i used NAV 2002 4 ages till it started lettin things through it shouldn't have, symantec's rep does seem 2 be goin downhill a bit as it never scores high in a/v tests

Since i switched 2 Avast pro, it has caught everythin that got on or was downloaded, & i have had no flase positives yet as only the mail scanner uses hueristics:)

Banzi,
Yeah, really gets your eye-tention, eh? LOL.

NAV CE is not the same as the home 200x versions; seems to catch better...

Cheers 4 the info about it bud :)

But i found NAV2003 2 really slow down me PC & dont even want 2 try 2004 as i have heard that U have 2 do the old fav unistall routine with it, ie format:p