Audio Software

What is the best audio backup software available? Editing Software? Cleanup Software to remove hiss and crackle from LP or cassette? I'm going to start my DJ business up again and I want to go completely digital. I have over 2000 vinyl records and GOD knows how many cd's. I'd like to be able to automate any of this if possible. "THE VAST COLLECTIVE KNOWLEDGE OF THIS FORUM SHALL SURELY GUIDE MY WAY" Thanks for the help.

Nunyobiznes how much do you what to spend on such a program?
Anyway apps like Wavelab,Cubase,Soundforge, CooleditPro all can do this even better all of the above you can get some very good plug-ins which will enhance the standard programs... Otherwise some of your burning apps out on the market have some basic funtions like Nero wave editor..Winoncd.etc.

Nunyobiznes said:
What is the best audio backup software available? Editing Software? Cleanup Software to remove hiss and crackle from LP or cassette? I'm going to start my DJ business up again and I want to go completely digital. I have over 2000 vinyl records and GOD knows how many cd's. I'd like to be able to automate any of this if possible. "THE VAST COLLECTIVE KNOWLEDGE OF THIS FORUM SHALL SURELY GUIDE MY WAY" Thanks for the help.
In this age of "cheap""cds.....Fastest and cheapest way is to buy them....I did restore some tapes and records and you need like 5-6 hours for one(sometimes even more----for good print)......And stilll will not be as original..You need to make labels..covers....Also as said aboive you need a software too....Like wavelab or samplitude with few plugins additionally..Or some app in that category...Software is smallest problem probably :)
so you need to arm yourself with a lot of patience couse for every record you might have to go thru""""trial and error???You will have to readjust settings for every record as you will need different problem to solve...Steinberg(clean)got some automated features..but still far from perfect......It would be much easier to restore a tapes....but...So good luck..Hopefully i didnt discourage you!! :) Btw,Cobo`s link1 is very good one and will bring you to every step......On that page you will find a proggy which isw really great for cleaning records..proggy cant do anything else :rolleyes: ...But its good for that :) :)

Last edited:
my recommendation for the software is Steinberg's "WaveLab 4" (recording, editoring, mastering) and Waves' "Restoration Bundle 3.6" (cleaning plugins), but both are heavy costly;

and zver is right, you need much time for the whole process, probably to much for 2000 LPs;

Greetings from
Duracell

Last edited:
I thank you all for the answers. Money isn't the problem for buying the software. Trying to replace 2200+ albums with $20-25USD cd's would cost alot to say the least. I was hoping to find something where I could rip all tracks to a folder and then do a batch cleanup or something like that. Do any of these software allow that?

Nunyobiznes said:
I was hoping to find something where I could rip all tracks to a folder and then do a batch cleanup or something like that. Do any of these software allow that?
in WaveLab you can aply the plugins in rendering mode for every whole album, no need to run them in real time mode (needed only in tuning process);
the time you waste is not the time for the rendering process, but the time you set up/tune the cleaning plugins; you have to discover the right settings for every album depending on music style, dynamic range and frequency spectrum;

I see clearly now. Your wisdom keeps going and going and going. Once you set the plugins up the way you like them is there a way to save that configurationor do you have to redo them everytime.

Nunyobiznes said:
Once you set the plugins up the way you like them is there a way to save that configurationor do you have to redo them everytime.
for sure you can save the settings and reload them for the next time, but they won't fit 100% for the next album;

in most cases you don't hear a difference while play back via PA sound system; but on a pretentious Hifi stereo you will hear a quality loss, if the plugins weren't tuned 100% while the cleaning process;

Duracell said:
for sure you can save the settings and reload them for the next time, but they won't fit 100% for the next album;

in most cases you don't hear a difference while play back via PA sound system; but on a pretentious Hifi stereo you will hear a quality loss, if the plugins weren't tuned 100% while the cleaning process;
At the decibels that I play my music a person would have to be pretty amazing to hear that the music tops out at 2khz intsead of 20khz. The soft tone changes that make a great song are often lost when I do a Hip Hop & Rap block party. Or play a club for that matter. The other thing is that some of my old records are not available on cd so I have to do this to bring them up to todays tech standards.

@Duracell

Imagine restoring a 2000 really bad sctrached records which were used in a clubs(soiled allower with fingerprints).....Its a question of years,maybe decades :p :rolleyes: :D

zver said:
Imagine restoring a 2000 really bad sctrached records which were used in a clubs(soiled allower with fingerprints).....Its a question of years,maybe decades :p :rolleyes: :D
I'm in a similar position in that i recently picked up a Denon DN-S5000 to compliment my Technics. Transferring stuff onto cd is pretty painful! Anyway i use Soundforge 6.0 and the Sonic Foundry Noise Reduction Plugin 2.0 to record, trim and remove clicks & crackles.
Wavelab is again the other top-end choice, it's really down to which you want to learn, both are very powerful. I'd suggest you also look at getting a decent separate cartridge for archiving, and perhaps a separate phono pre-amp if your mixer isn't too clean.......
Good Luck!

I appreciate all the help. I am glad that this forum made it through the warez revolution. Good people here. Good info. What more could a person want?

Nunyobiznes said:
I appreciate all the help. I am glad that this forum made it through the warez revolution. Good people here. Good info. What more could a person want?
Also,for average quality you can go with your input on stereo...For better quality you need as the guy said above either separate phono preamp..or really,really good preamp with a phono imput...Also you gonna be better with a mc then mm-----But you know all that probablyyy----couse with 2000 records and being a dj you should know the stuff.....Also sf and noise red. plug is pretty good...But wave restoration combo will be better in cobo with a sf,wavelab or samplitude7...Also Magix people made a decrackler few years ago(2000)....Its a standalone app....Even pretty old today...But i think its probably still one of the best.....Faster then average too..Which is more then important couse restoration is more then any other job for a people with a LOT of Patience..Also check your"""back home is called"""radioclub"""""do not know in your country>>Like places for radio-amaters and things like that....You can get a """almost""""pro phonopreamp for really cheap price.....Much,much cheaper then all good deals and discounts...Also for software there is some websites which offer all those appz for a discount price,So you can pm me and i will send you a link by mail..Dont wanna post it here,couse i dont wanna somebody think that i spamming.....ok bud..good luck to you.. :) let us know how you doing.....Maybe some good tip couse didnt do muself it for quate a time--And i dont missit--atall!! :) :rolleyes: