aspi problems

just reinstalled win2k sp4 on my new sys (asus a7n8x deluxe rev2, athlonxp 3000+) and cant get aspi to work, it only detects my virtual drive, but not my cdrw or cdrom drive (master and slave on secondary ide), in burnatonce and eac (bao reports aspi initialisation ... OK!)

it worked fine on my old sys (asus k7v, 700mhz athlon)

i already installed the newest ide drivers (nforce driver package 3.13)
and killed and reinstalled aspi, with a few reboots in between

nero works fine (burned a few discs), and eac detects the drives using the native win2k interface (didnt try burning)
bao spti detects all drives but last time i tried spti it gave me a coaster (simulation went fine before)... hm dont wanna try that again ...

any ideas ?

forti

Last edited:

dx

FortiTude... I had the same problem with the same Mobo (later revision). As bionic suggested it is indeed an nForce driver problem. The 3.13 nVidia package contains the SW IDE drivers (it asks you at the end if you want to install them). It was nVidia's way of trying to address the problems some are having with the M$ IDE drivers being slow on some nForce mobo's. It works for some, but not for everyone.

You have 2x choices...

1) Roll back the IDE drivers to the M$ ones in Device Manager. They are slower, but they do work.

OR

2) Use the Nero aspi.dll found here link. There seems to be an issue with these drivers and Adaptec's ASPI 4.60. If you put this Nero aspi.dll in every directory that requires it, it may well work. This is a little tip by the way, I picked up from nforcershq.com forum. Great place if you own an nForce mobo. ;)

This is the solution that worked for me and that I'm currently using with the nVidia SW IDE drivers. I use it with EAC, BAO, Burrrn, etc. and my drives always show up in the proggie that requires it. No coasters... no troubles. First time ever, that I'm not recommending the Adaptec's ASPI 4.60. :eek:

A tip: If you are using Force ASPI you should be able to dump and then kill the Adaptec ASPI 4.60 using that program. Do this first, reboot, and then use the Nero aspi.dll. ;)

dx said:
This is the solution that worked for me and that I'm currently using with the nVidia SW IDE drivers. I use it with EAC, BAO, Burrrn, etc. and my drives always show up in the proggie that requires it.
Good that it works for you buddy!:)

I have an Abit N7-S v2 mobo,and had that problem with bao and EAC....writers on my secondary ide were not recognised,but both programs did not use the aspi interface,aspi wasn't even installed @ that time..bao was set to SPTI and EAC was set to vob's asapi,so it's not only an aspi issue......windows standard busmaster drivers had to do the trick...

dx

Too bad it didn't work for you Roady. I'm assuming you tried this Nero solution?! I was skeptical as well, but took the advice of a fellow nForcer and I'll be damned... it worked. BTW, VOB's asapi didn't work for me either. ;)

But yes, as I said, this solution does not work for everyone. Then again, I couldn't get ANY of my drives 3x drives to be recognized let alone the secondary IDE as you. Guess that's just the nature of this beast, there is no perfect answer.

Seems option #1 was for you. Some dislike this though, as their cpu utilization becomes quite high on certain optical drives.

dx said:
2) Use the Nero aspi.dll found here link. There seems to be an issue with these drivers and Adaptec's ASPI 4.60. If you put this Nero aspi.dll in every directory that requires it, it may well work. This is a little tip by the way, I picked up from nforcershq.com forum. Great place if you own an nForce mobo. ;)
thx m8!
both progs detect the drives now
doing a write simulation right now ... looks fine ... success!
didnt even have to kill aspi
forti