ASPI and XP

Burn

Hello to all. On the DVDdecrypter site one of the mods said that aspi sshould not, be installed on win XP. Is the true? I have installed aspi 4.6 and some programmes like ghost 2003 clonyxxl and some other ones work how they should :) So I'm a little confused on if it should or should not be installed. I'm no expert and the mod is more advanced than me, which is why I'm confused. Thanks for the help.

dx

Don't listen to him.

Although I would like to see this 'Mod's' reasoning... some peeps have been saying this for some time now. They claim it will hurt or crash your system. This just shows their ignorance... there are heaps of peeps using ASPI in WinXP systems. Many of them are on our Forum.

Granted, some have used ASPI releases that are buggy, but this is not true of most of them. Personally, we recommend Adaptec's ASPI 4.6.0.1021 around here... which it seems you already have. It's the most trouble free of the various ASPI's out there... and it works.

dx said:
Don't listen to him.

Although I would like to see this 'Mod's' reasoning... some peeps have been saying this for some time now. They claim it will hurt or crash your system. This just shows their ignorance... there are heaps of peeps using ASPI in WinXP systems. Many of them are on our Forum.

Granted, some have used ASPI releases that are buggy, but this is not true of most of them. Personally, we recommend Adaptec's ASPI 4.6.0.1021 around here... which it seems you already have. It's the most trouble free of the various ASPI's out there... and it works.
I agree I would like to see it too.:confused: But I'm one of the members around here that doesn't like forced aspi. I always recommend Adaptec's ASPI and I say that you must install them or you will have problems burning. I've used all ASPI's on XP in fact now I'm using 4.71 with out a problem.

Burn

Thanks guys I love this site :D

This is the reply I had from him.

"DVD Decrypter uses SPTI under XP - unless you've changed it.

If your system is working correctly, you should see no difference between the two.

Where I say ASPI shouldnt be used, its because 'new' applications should all use SPTI. That's why microsoft removed ASPI from the default install. If you remember, ASPI was built into 98 and alike."

I see what he means, but I still think ASPI is still needed in my oppinion. After all it's solved some problems with Clonyxxl and I've had no problems installing the 4.6 version :D Microsoft should of just left aspi in.

Burn said:
Where I say ASPI shouldnt be used, its because 'new' applications should all use SPTI.
Only partially true....there are indeed programs that communicate with the devices by using SPTI,but there are still lots of burning programs that depend on it,and most of those who don't need Adaptec's aspi,have developed their own acces layer,

to name a few:

Nero: neroaspi
VOB/Steinberg/Pinnacle:Asapi
BlindWrite,Copy2Dvd:pattin Coufin
Alcohol 120%: Default Device Control Interface

some of them support SPTI,but prefer that their own aspi is used..

I have been using Adaptec 4.72 on both XP and 2003 and it works well. The only real issue anyone has been able to give me facts on has been 4.7x with External burners.