AOpen's New Motherboard with a Vacuum Tube for Richer Audio

A single tube?
Well, it could be a double-something (maybe a double tetrode or pentode) to do two channels, but certainly not enough to do an entire 5.1 sound system.

I suspect many of the perceptual advantages of "Tube Sound" could be achieved more easily using JFETS (semi-obsolete in favour of MOSFET), as they have a rther similar curved characteristic - which also made them great RF mixers until dual gate mosfets and packaged double balanced mixers took over.

I'm not sure you can "cheat" your way to true valve sound, not without using them in a power amplifier, driven HARD.

Valves (I'll slip into the UK parlance here) produce significantly more distortion than competent solid state technology, but their tendecy to "square law" curves, softer cutoff and saturation, means it tends towards "musical" second harmonic instead of the harsh odd harminics of overdriven solid state technology.

The closest I have ever come to an Enneode is a pentode, that too in a college textbook. Interesting links.

- LotusFang

Last edited:
Also, how will it fare in transport - LAN parties etc.

I get the suspicion that this might have been a demo model (sort of like a "concept car") that they were puished into building by the amount of interest.

LTR12101B said:
I get the suspicion that this might have been a demo model (sort of like a "concept car") that they were puished into building by the amount of interest.
No it's for sale at the retailers.
There are diferent models and I've read a couple of raving magazine reviews .. but they mentioned the heat as well, and that you loose 2 pci slots...