Any advantage?

r0nd0

Hi, I am now using only sata hard drives and my primary ide is now redundant.
Is there any advantage to be had by using the primary ide for dvd-rw(master) and the secondary ide for dvd-rom(slave).

Please note: I have pioneer-107d dvd-rw and for some reason on my system and some others I've read about, works better writing from slave to master, thats why back to front dvd set-up!! ;)

I thought a slight speed advantage maybe when copying disks.
r0nd0.

Normally,you get the fastest copying speed by attaching every drive seperately as master on your ide channels...I dunno how well the Pioneer behaves when it's setup that way,but for 99% of today's drives,it will work...

Putting a drive as Slave, no Master is not a valid configuration, but may work - supported only to reduce the number of complaints.

Putting a Writer and reader on the SAME channel, I would always try to put the writer as master, from a vague memory that getting status (such as buffer status) has less overhead for the master.

If solo slave works better than individual Master, then there is something seriously wierd!

scarecrow said:
Why not both as masters (primary-secondary IDE)? This way copying on-the-fly should be troublefree.

Indeed......IMHO,since the harddisks are on the SATA controller,it's the best performance configuration he can get,if he sets it up like that.....

r0nd0

@LTR12101B Ah yes of course I forgot, you only need master and slave if sharing an IDE. :eek: I was going to put drives on seperate IDE as slave and master but decided against it.

I've put the DVD's on seperate IDE's both as master as mentioned.
Thanks all for your help, r0nd0 :D