amiga a1200

Hello folks it's been a while since i have posted on the forum but i'm back now. (hurray i hear you all shout)(who the f&$K is flyby2001 i hear you all shout) lol

i have just bought an amiga a1200 (£13 from a uk car boot sale with about 200 games bargin i thought) and was wondering how i get amiga games from the net and load em on my amiga???

do i format a blank floppy disc and just copy the download file to it or is there other ways???? please help.

this as far as i'm concerend along with it's baby brother the a500 is one of the best retro gaming computers of all time.

thanks for your answers in advance.

flyby2001 out.....

i think u can bud but they have to be in diskmash (.dms) format !? i think thats what the compression was when i used to use my miggy 1200 you may have to network the pc to the amgia with a NULL parallel printer cable and use some sort of coms software to get them to communicate !? its been a while but i know u can link a pc to an amiga like this !?

you will then have to unpack the compressed amiga disk to a blank floppy on the amiga methinks !? i dont think u can write amiga with a pc floppy !? it has to be modded !?

:) hope this is of some use !?

You probably need to find floppy images already made on an Amiga. ... I have the software Amiga that runs on Win platform, but I need a floppy controller for the old Amiga 880K drive - unfortunately, the only one I have ever seen is for an ISA (16-bit) bus. All my m/b's now have only PCI slots, so I will have to go buy an old 500 or 1200 as well ... unless someone knows of a PCI Amiga floppy controller?

The reason you need a special controller is that the Amiga floppies are like the old Apple - the speed varies as the disk is accessed, unlike the fixed speed of the IBM drives.

Thanks for that info "ipdave" :) could not remember its been so long :) there are some homebrew mod diagrams out there somwhere but i dont fancy attepting modding a pc floppy drive even tho they are really cheap to buy :)

i think the way to do it cheaply is the null data cable i mentioned here :) and comms software transfering the compressed disk images from the pc to the amiga and then unpack to a floppy disk on the amiga !? i used to do this but cant for the life of me remember how its over 5 years at least since i last did !? :(

If all that fails I have all the hardware and all the software to connect an Amiga 1200 to the Internet as this was one of the first ways I connected to the Internet way back in 1990. Let us know how you get on.

@ geoff you dont need special equipment to connect to the net !? just a serial port modem and some coms software and a browser :)

thanks

cheers for all your replys i knew i could rely on the folks here for the real low down. keep the suggestions coming.

thanks flyby2001

This thread has just reminded me that i still have a working A1200 lying about somewhere:)

Picjed it up at a charity shope i was doin voluntery work 4

If i rem right it still got the OS floppys(no HD)mouse & manuals

Must have put it in the loft a while ago

I have no use 4 it so was gonna sell it.Any offers , PM me:)Since this place reminded me of it, it can have first refusal

Roll Up Roll Up:)

BaNzI:D