AMD Athlon MP 2800+ bios settings

Hi, I'm putting together a pc for a friend of mine, and need the settings for the correct cpu speed. When I start the pc it asks me to set the speed, and gives me a bunch of options.

The following should be set:
1. CPU speed
2. CPU Frequency Multiple
3. CPU External Frequency
4. Memory Frequency

Mobo: Asus A7V8X-X Award Medallion Biosv 6.0
Bios Revision 1008

Memory: 1.5 Gb 266 MHz DDR ram

Processor: AMD Athlon MP 2800+

The post screen detects the CPU as: AMD Athlon MP 2800+

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If it's identifying correctly, I'd say it's autoset - surely there's an AUTO option?

http://www.athlonxp.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Diner_Wrapper&file=index&req=ShowFile&file_wrap=html/reviews_mp2800_barton.html

The MP2800+ version runs at 266FSB - and 2133MHz actual speed (16x 133)

Not quite sure how they translate into the board settings though:

It might be better value to see if you can sell the MP to someone that NEEDS the dual-CPU capability, as it's reported that AMD are canning the MP range to avoid hurting sales of the 64 bit dual processor (Opteron) - much to the anger of people looking to complete dual processor MP systems.

Mind you, running with 266 RAM, the fact that this CPU is 266FSB is a bonus!

PS. My best guess:
Speed: 2133 MHz
Multiplier: 16 (x 133) or 8 (x 266)
External frequency: 133 (or 266)
Memory: 133 or 266

Because the 266 is actually 133 with dual data rate (transfer on both clock edges), it seems to be quoted both ways.

It worked!!

Well Mr. LTR12101B. There was no auto set option, but you suggestions sure did the trick!! :D

Thanks a heap!!!! Everything worked out just beautifully. It's amazing how fast the pc runs. This was my first experience with an AMD rig. I'm impressed. My friend is a happy fellow right now. I guess I always remained a bit skeptical over the AMD reviews. Seems like I will have some more options to consider for a next upgrade. Thanks again. :)

Picture

http://www.mbreview.com/a7v8xx-6.php

I would have expected it to be able to change to AUTO (maybe at an earlier menu) - unless it doesn't fully recognise the CPU

If it was like the picture, then I'd expect it to be:
Speed MANUAL
Multiple 16.0x
External 133/33
Memory 266

If speed could be selected to 2133, that probably set the multiple and external appropriately.

It's a VERY long time since I've ever seen a non-auto setup, in fact, a lot of the time, you CANNOT change the multiplier, and you have to hack the BIOS to change the base clock.

The setup appeared exactly like in the picture you attached. I checked again, and for sure there was no auto option. The speed setting of 2133 could not be selected, at least it was not in the dropdown list. There were two values, but nothing compared to 2133. What I did notice that in the system properties under the "general" tab the speed shown was 2.12 GHz which I found a little bit odd. I checked my computer (2.8 Ghz P4) and it showes 2.81 GHz, so I guess it should be o.k.. I ran my sysoft sandra 2004 basic on my friend's pc, and compared the performance to an AMD XP 2800+ system, and it is virtually the same. So I guess it really is working like it's supposed to. My friend picked up his pc yesterday, and would advise me of any problems, but I haven't received any complaints so far. :D :D Next time he runs into problems, I'll take a closer look in the bios setup.

I guess it doesn't "know" an Athlon MP2800 - the MP is not on the officially supported list, so even the latest firmware might not configure it easily.

Not sure if getting the name right means anything, or if it can just pull the name from the CPU directly - many motherboards CAN be persuaded to run something not actually on their official list, but they usually fail to name it correctly.

I guess, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, is the best rule to apply here - if it's ok with those settings, not worth trying to figure out why it couldn't do it itself.

AMD number the XP range and similar (anything with a + at the end) on a Pentium equivalent rating - so while it's only clocked at 2133MHz, as you checked, it runs like a Pentium at 2.8 GHz

Older Athlons - the "Thunderbird" range, and the Durons have always been actual clock speed rated - some motherboards used to tell you the "+" and the real rating at startup, but AMD will not certify them - they don't want anybody to think of real clock speeds.