Alternative to ReMPEG2?

I just completed a backup of "High Crimes". The original was slightly too large to fit on the DVD-R so I used ReMPEG2 set at the highest setting (90), which fit the DVD-R just fine. However, the first 10 minutes or so of the movie had some pretty bad pixelation (flashing boxes of various sizes). Over six hours wasted! Tried it again with the same results (another 6 hours wasted), so thought it might be a problem with the original. I played the original ripped files on the PC and they were fine. Appears that the problem must have been created by ReMPEG2. Now the question, is there a good alternative to ReMPEG2 that I can try to see if it fixes this problem? Thanks.

Kermit

Thanks for the quick reply...this is a great forum!

I am pretty new to this, but I was able to find CCE and also downloaded the latest trial version of TMPG. Gave them a quick try and discovered that CCE doesn't read the .M2V video files and TMPG won't read the .AC3 audio files. I've been following the directions for doing a DVD to DVD-R copy that creates .M2V and .AC3 files, then uses SpruceUp to author. Up to this point, ReMPG2 has worked well for encoding if the video file was too large.

Should CCE and TMPG be able to handle .M2V and .AC3 files?

Sorry for the novice questions, but I really do appreciate the help. Thanks!

E

elpresidente

hey mate ...
Use DVD2AVI .... load the m2v file and save the project ... U will get a *.d2v file ...then load the VfapiConv and convert to an *.avi ... (some seconds of work) .... this resulting file can be opened in tmpg and CCE ...

üsse

Will this not give you a problem ??

I know that rempeg will maintain the same GOP structure as the original, that's why it takes so long to initialize.
So all pointers in the VOB will be correct and audio will be in sync.
I know (from Derrow) that the tmpgEnc compatibility in IfoEdit is for your own risc, and that it is not compatible with CCE (as this program will NOT maintain the GOP structure) when you want to remux the file in the VOB again with IfoEdit.
If you do so, big chance that the audio will NOT be in sync.

So this probably require you to author you disc again. You'll see that the Guide at Doom9 is suggesting that you re-author your DVD if you use CCE.

I can be COMPLETELY wrong in this, as i still use rempeg as it is best supported by IfoEdit.

@ Kermit: Is that DVD a WarnerBros DVD ?

Last edited:
E

elpresidente

Rinkel ...you r 100% right mate ... If u use CCE or TMPG u have to reauthor your project ... but reauthoring takes u 15mins (after some tries) ;) and believe me ... CCE is worth a try ...
CCE with VBR @ Average bitrate 2MBIT(u can fit 2 movies on one disc).. 3 pass mode ...reaches better results than Rempeg2 @ 90% .... and it takes the same time...
Tmpeg is my suggestion for DV stuff or SVCD to DVD ... something like that ;)

üsse

What program do you use for authoring, i use Spruce for my home-videos, but it does not support ac3 and subtitles..
So i have to use a program which does have support for that

Rinkel

E

elpresidente

SONIC DVD FUSION ... EASY TO HANDLE ... comes with pdf guides ;)

it´s on the mainsite ;)

üsse

Rinkel.....it's a 20th Century Fox movie.

Found DVD2AVI and vfapiconf and think that I got that part done correctly. Didn't take too long after following the steps in the tutorials I also got here.....thanks.
I'm still having some problems getting it to work with CCE, kept getting a "couldn't find video codec for "VIFP" " error. Guess I'll keep trying until I get it right. Sure makes me appreciate how easy it worked with ReMPEG2!
Also, I believe that the output option from CCE was MPG instead of M2V....can SpruceUp read the .MPG and import the .AC3 like it does with the .m2V file?
Looks like I have a lot to learn, but I'll get it yet! Thanks for the help.

Kermit

Hi,
No, Spruce needs an mpg file.. it cannot read ac3 however..
So if you plan to use ac3 or subtitles.. use the program elpresidente mentioned

Actually, I have been using .AC3 audio files with the .M2V files that I created with SmartRipper. If you name both files with the same name (i.e. Movie.M2V and Movie.AC3), SpruceUp will automatically import the audio file after the video. I like using SpruceUp since I wanted the movie to start automatically (with no menu) and it's very easy to do (just need to correct the IFO file with IfoEdit after saving). Pretty simple process, following the instructions that are on http://w*w.dvd2dvdr.com.
The problem I now have is ReMPEG's quality for the first 10 minutes or so of this movie isn't good and the alternatives can't create .M2V in one case or .AC3 in another. Requires me to learn some new software and it appears that I'm more dense than I thought, as I haven't made it work yet...but I will keep trying until I get it right!

Kermit

DVD Workshop will take .ac3, but you have to mux with the video file using the TMPGEnc utility before bringing file into DVD WS