Alcohol 120% and CloneCD &PS2...

Just thought I'd share an experience that I had using both programs (Alcohol vs. CloneCD)

I just bought (for my son) an old PS2 CD based game. (Midnight Club, street racing).
While I'm an Alcohol 120% user, I could NOT get this freakin game to work after I copied it!
I used the PS2 datatype in Alcohol. The game would launch and then freeze during the loading sequence.
I have also tried to burn it on 3 different media's to no avail.
I used a Lite-on DVD-ROM to read the game and a Pioneer A05 to burn the game. Never worked!

After remembering reading psxpaul thread in where he mentiones he ustilizes CloneCD for CD based games I decided to try CloneCD.
I also downloaded the profiles and read/write utilizing the PSX profile and bam worked the very first try. (Of course using the above same reader/writer method) I'm impressed!

I am very dissapointed that I couldn't get it to work using Alcohol 120%!!!
Maybe they need to tweak that datatype setting.

From now on, I will be using CloneCD on all PS2 CD based games.

Regards,

Q:How can I backup my ps2 game disc?

A:pS2 game disc have 2 types

A. PS2 CD
- 1. Put your PS2 disc into source cd-rom/dvd-rom. Then Using Alcohol 120% Image Making Wizard.
- 2. Please choose datatype as Playstation 2, then starting making image file.
- 3. If you have writer, you can burn this image file to cd-r. But please pay attention to you must choose datatype as Playstation 2.

B. PS2 DVD(Only Some PS2 DVD Game Discs are protected by CSS if your disc does not have this protection skip to -2a)
- 1. Alcohol 120% doesn't support DeCSS function, so you must use another software to DeCSS(like DVD Decrypter).
Put your PS2 DVD DISC into your DVD-ROM, then running DVD Decryptor, choose source DVD-ROM as that you put PS2 DVD disc into. Ok, you can close DVD Decryptor, because DVD Decryptor has DeCSS this Disc.
- 2. After DeCSS,-2a please use Alcohol 120% Image Making Wizard to make image file.(You don't choose any Datatype)
- 3. If you haveDVD-R/DVD+RW writer, you can burn the image to DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD-RW Disc.
(PS. PS2 only support DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD-RW(only newer PS2 mode) media, and PlayStation2 SCPH-30000 mode or newer mode has better ability of reading DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD-RW media.)

Notice: If you want to play backup ps2 disc on your ps2, your ps2 must have been modified.

Note

The primary copy protection on a Sony PlayStation uses bad blocks on the CD. Most consumer CD recorders automatically fix a bad block before writing it to the CD-R. The PlayStation searches for the bad blocks and won't run the game if they exist.

As a secondary protection, all games are manufactured with a country code. If the country code on the game doesn't match that of the PlayStation, the game won't load

You can play a backup game on earlier versions of the PlayStation by first booting with an original PlayStation disk, then swapping it for the backup.

The only other way to play a non-working backup is to modify the PlayStation so that you fool it into thinking the backup has the proper country code and bad blocks.
Have u done all this ?

R!Co

A. PS2 CD
- 1. Put your PS2 disc into source cd-rom/dvd-rom. Then Using Alcohol 120% Image Making Wizard.
- 2. Please choose datatype as Playstation 2, then starting making image file.
- 3. If you have writer, you can burn this image file to cd-r. But please pay attention to you must choose datatype as Playstation 2.

R!Co
That's exactly how I did it. I don't know why it doesn't work.

I chose Datatype PS2 when I read the game
I chose Datatype PS2 when i wrote the game
I did this 5 times.
3 times using a CD/RW
Sorry but it never worked.
Game starts..adjust settings and then crashes.

Then tried CloneCD
Chose LibCrypt [PSX].ccp to read
Chose LibCrypt [PSX].ccp to write
Tried 3 times with the same CD/RW
Worked flawlessly everytime

In both cases I used the Liteon JLMS XJ-HD166S to read (DS18 installed)
And the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 to write (1.33 2x4all installed)

R!Co, I don't mean to disappoint you but that's exactly what happened.

I hope the information provided above helps

Regards,

Strange that Alcohol 120% did not work in this instance, however nice to hear that CloneCD done the job for you backing up your CD based PS2 game :)

:D

psxpaul,
Strange that Alcohol 120% did not work in this instance, however nice to hear that CloneCD done the job for you backing up your CD based PS2 games

Thanks for letting me know and thanks for your comments. I'm just glad it works.

R!Co,
And is this game for PS2, as I know PS2 games use DVDs
Sorry, but I really don't understand what you're trying to ask.
I specifically posted that it was a CD based game and not a DVD based game.
You also ask if it's a PS2 game...again I don't understand this part! I did mention it's a PS2 (Playstation 2) game.

I really don't know what to reply to you with your question :confused:
Sorry

Regards,

Flaze

Its verg nice to hear that clone cd can make a WORKING ps2 copy without the modification to your ps2.... i tried burning Tekken Tag Tournament.... with Alcohol, but it didnt work... im trying CloneCD now...

Homertrix

How to Rip from DVD to CD

Hi.
I do not own a DVD writer. Here in Spain things are very shabby on technology basis. I've hear that it is possible to resize a DVD game so that it fits on a CD-R but you loose some movie sequences. Me and my brother both have a PS2 but I don't lend him my games as he's 6 years old and don't want to get my games ruined. I've thought about getting his console "moddified" so it will read backups, but how do I rip a DVD to CD-R??? I know how to do movies, but I suppose it's not the same for games. I'm interested in making backups of Tekken 4, Grand Turismo 3, Dragon Ball Budokai and Dragon Ball Budokai 2.
Any help/manul/tutorial will do. Thank you

mastagil

how can i get clonecd for playstation 2

can you please help me find the software i want to burn games for my playstation 2 please help me
thank you

mastagil said:
can you please help me find the software i want to burn games for my playstation 2 please help me
thank you
mastagil,

For DVD based games:
Download DVD Decrypter (latest is 3.2.30)
Make an ISO image of your game
Burn ISO image of the game
End

For CD Based games:
Either use CloneCD or Alcohol120%

PSXPaul has some awesome tutorials on backing up games...check them out.

Ciao,

DD51 said:
For DVD based games:
Download DVD Decrypter (latest is 3.2.30)
Make an ISO image of your game
Burn ISO image of the game
End
End indeed, a shiny coaster... more than 80% of the current DVD games use more than plain css encryption.

scarecrow said:
End indeed, a shiny coaster... more than 80% of the current DVD games use more than plain css encryption.
80% WOW! Really?
They say you learn everyday...news to me buddy.
I have yet to backup a PS2 DVD based game that did not work with DVD Decrypter...must be luck! Or I'm buying the right games. Mind you I do NOT have that many games.
:confused:

Regards,

Here's a partial list of DVD based games (PS2) that I've backed up using DVD Decrypter:

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
GTA Vice City
Hot Shots Golf 3
Burnout
Devil May Cry 2
Medal Of Honor Rising Sun
Silent Hill 3
Chaos Legion
Lord of The Rings ROTK
SSX 3
Jet Li Rise To Honor
GTA 3
Resident Evil Dead + Alive
Burnout 2 Point of Impact
Need For Speed Underground
ATV 2

No coasters with these games

Regards,

Last edited:
Almost all DVD games for PC which were released after January use additional protection schemes, and most of them can't be bypassed without patches (which are considered illegal in most countries).