AIW Radeon 8500DV Capture Problem

Trying to make backups of my kids VHS movies (which haved been played hundreds of time and starting to degrade) to dvd. Composite connection works fine with camcorders but has difficulty with vhs. Anyone know of a site that lists known issues with ATI cards or capturing issues? Thanks

I don't want to start negative, but, the cards are very sensitive to Macrovision.. that's all I'll say.. been an ATI buyer for over 4 years, probably go Nvidia for next purchase and stick with a Canopus ADVC-100 for capture..

>>X<<

Sure that the videos are not protected??Lots of VHS videos are protected with Macrovision,I dunno about your card,but older ATI Radeon cards can capture it,but the company crippled that abilty by installing an extra driver which,if detecting Macrovision,refuses to capture the signal in a proper way,although most ATI cards can.....
The good news is,that there's a removal tool to kill that extra ATI driver.....:D ;)
It's name: DisableAtiMacrovisionDetection.exe

Don't know if this helps for your situation....but it's a possible solution...

I will not purchase any other ATI prod's. They suck. Sad to have found this out after having paid $185USD for the AIW.

"The good news is,that there's a removal tool to kill that extra ATI driver.....
It's name: DisableAtiMacrovisionDetection.exe"

Any hints where I could find such a prog? Did a google search and came up empty. Tried a few warez site as well. No hits.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Thanks Roadworker!I have saved it for some time as I have an AIW.This is for Nunyobiznes because he is backing up his own tapes.

One thing I notice with AIW cards.Always try to use the SuperS in connection(if possible).Capture in mpeg2,Vhs tapes are not best quality to begin with .Capturing with composite in will only degrade picture quality further.Have not done any Vhs tapes yet by the way.;)

Read the text files first with the zip,I haven't tried it yet.;)

Attachments

Yes Woody, VHS tapes are not great to start with.. as far as capture goes, you know what they say (pardon my french..) crap in, crap out..

Thanks for the file, will try it out sometime..

>>X<<

woody said:
Capturing with composite in will only degrade picture quality further.Have not done any Vhs tapes yet by the way.;)

Thanks for the help. My VCR only has composite out. It's better than coax I guess. Tapes have already been playd so much the quality is already degraded. Just trying to salvage what I can.

Thanks again.