Advice on DVD writer to buy

Sony plans to unveil a DVD drive for personal computers that supports both of the battling formats, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW, IDG News Service has learned. The new drive, which the company is planning to announce in the second week of September, is significant as it is the first product to feature support for two competing recordable DVD formats in a single device and will mean users no longer have to worry about buying equipment that could become obsolete should one format fail to gain mass acceptance. It also points to a further softening in the position of Sony, which one year ago said it had no plans to support the DVD-R/RW format in computer-related products. I plan on waiting for this drive to come out since there isn't a definite format decided on yet.

Considering the price of media and the drives I would recommend the Pioneer DVR-104.

In the UK you can now get this drive for £200 and the price of media from about 50p upwards
(£1-£1.50 for decent media which will play on most DVD players)

I have owned one of these drives for about 4 months now and find it to be a brilliant drive which will burn DVD-Rs at 2x speed with compatible media.

Providing you choose decent media your DVD-Rs will work on virtually any standalone player.
(Traxdata & Intenso DVD-Rs are pretty much bulletproof and nicely priced)(1x speed only though).

If Sony are backing down and making their drives DVD-R/RW compatible I don't think you have anything to worry about DVD-R/RW drives becoming obsolite (Read the forum to see how much more popular DVD-R/RW is against DVD+R/RW)

In fact I think Pioneer have the jump on everyone else considering how popular the DVR-104 is.

Sony will be selling this dvd burner for $350 (Dru500a)

It should be out any day now.

Check Sony's web page here:

h**p://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.jsp?hierc=9683x9714x9715&catid=9715&itemid=50044&type=o

Direct Links are not allowed I have edited yours >>> .Please read the Rulez >>> Tnx >>> joripe

Ok, guys, DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW is a big advantage... but now, only now ... because all of the world khow that +R/+RW will be the standard way to burn DVD ... Sorry to say, Taz69 ... HP/Compaq, Sony, Ricoh, Philips and others "monsters" support that ...
BTW, i will buy a HP 200i ...

ok ... but HP 200i (as like as Sony, Philips and all others DVD+ drive writers) is OEM Ricoh ... without any difference ....

E

elpresidente

yeah... buy your HP device ...HAHAHA ... media is priced 3x times higher than DVD-R !!

I was going to keep quiet as it's your money you are burning (pardon the pun :) )but I think DVD+R will be the next betamax. Even Sony have seen the light (another pun wasn't intended ) by adding DVD-R/RW support in their new drive.

I expect there have been more Pioneer DVR-a03 or a04 (103 & 104 inc) than all the DVD+R/RW drives out at the min and with their new 4x drive coming out soon do yo really think DVD+R/RW will really upturn the applecart so easily..

If you really want DVD+R/RW how about the new Sony drive which also has DVD-R/RW upto 4x support. If the price is right then that does look like an interesting drive.

h**p://www.doom9.org/

I'll stick with cheap and reliable media which actually works on every DVD player I've tested it on.

Last edited:
elpresidente said:
yeah... buy your HP device ...HAHAHA ... media is priced 3x times higher than DVD-R !!
ok, but the difference of price's media is smaller today than it was in past month ...

It really doesn't matter what drive you buy. There will be + and - drives/media available for quite some time. And by the time one of the types is not available anymore, it's time to buy a new drive anyway because at that time your burner will be too old and burner-prices are dropped.

I prefer the pioneer-a03 because of the media-prices and compatibility.
(However... i really am curious about the quality of +R media, -R can be very bad)

good luck

Last edited:
E

elpresidente

CSK said:
ok, but the difference of price's media is smaller today than it was in past month ...
yeah ..that´s true ... but DVD+R prices r still 3xtimes higher than DVD-R prices ;)

so think about it .... if u burn 5 DVDs/month ...then price doesn´t matter .... but if u r a "heavy user" ...u should go for the -R !!!

e.g. --> DVD-R 100pieces --> app. 85USD
--> DVD+R 100 pieces --> app. 249USD

source w*w. Shop4tech.com

i found this:

" +R Price Crash Coming??
Posted Sep 12, 2002 - 08:35 PM

Our Taiwanese sources have shed new light on the story about Datasafe Media’s new interest in the +R/+RW format. Recently we revealed that Datasafe have arranged to distribute the new Sony DRU500A which will work with both +R and –R media.

Recently we revealed that Datasafe have arranged to distribute the new Sony DRU500A which will work with both +R and –R media.

We had been led to understand that Datasafe were only interested in bundling plus media with the drives but now we’re not so sure. An insider deep in darkest Taiwan tells us that he’s seen a huge quantity of +R and +RW discs in production bearing the Datasafe name.

Which means they are only a couple of weeks away from British shores. One look at the Datasafe strategy which has given them huge sales and major market share in CD-R and DVD-R means we are looking at volume at a cheap price.

If this is true, and our source is reliable, then look out – the price of +R and +RW media could fall faster than a fat guy on a bungee jump.

We’ve already heard that one or two +R sellers (with the inside track at Datasafe) have cut their margins to shift stock before there is a huge price drop.

So it’s good news for those with +R drives but anyone with a large stock of the media better make arrangements to shift it, or keep it, because we’d bet the price is coming right down."

read more on h**p://webplus.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=22&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0