AC3 audio static

I've been watching movies on my computer for years. Now I've up graded to W2k Server Web Editon. everything runs fine except with ac3 audio movies i get hella static I have no clue why. My sound card is a SB Live D800. also the video codec on the movie is Xvid. I'm using WMP to play the file, I've also tryed divx Player but te staic is even worse. Plz help asap

AC3 is the codec/format used. I asked what you were using to decode it. No AC3 decoder installed = no audio with or without static. Well excluding players like Media Player Classic that have built in AC3 decoders.

Right, never had any problems with it myself. There are however some new RC's out, although Valex, the developer seems to have disapeared lately after there were some arguments over the lack of any available source code.

Could also try MPC which has its own inbuilt decoder.

You might also want to try some other non AC3 48KHz sources and check to see if any other audio filters are being loaded in the graph.

dude, i dunno why the hell this happend, but i dled that windvd5 from their site and when i get to were its installing the windvd audio driver i get a "BAD_POOL_CALLER" error. I have no idea why that happened. I'm running w2k3 but i dunno why that whould play a roll in it.