A poll for all......What DVD s/w do we all use and why

So lets see what we all think.

Rippers, Players, Encoders etc etc.

One reason for this is so that it could act as a bit of a guide for all newbies to see what the general consensus is.

As for me I use PowerDVD 4 as my player and Easy DivX as my encoder and ripper.

Jollster

hmm ok,
as software I use powerDVD 4 & windows media player with hacked engine of winDVD (cause winDVD tends to work better with smartripper *at least in my case). Encoders used for DivX:
3.11/4.12/5pro. Everything else used & methods are from the grand nacho himself ChickenMan's tutorials found in this forum.

For MPEG, VCD, SVCD, DVD, VOB & DivX playback, I use WinDVD v 3.1

For ripping, encoding, etc I practice what I preach !

ChickenMan said:
For MPEG, VCD, SVCD, DVD, VOB & DivX playback, I use WinDVD v 3.1

For ripping, encoding, etc I practice what I preach !
Great thread...hope more will answer. I was going to ask this as well.

I just ordered a system 2 gig P4 Northwood and it has a DVD reader. I have a home theater so that is not new, but a dvd in my computer is.

At any rate the system comes with WinDVD. I had been told that the system comes with XP Home, but If I NUKE my Hard Drive, and put XP Pro on it I will loose Windvd.

So, I wonder...

1. Should I care?
2. Is something else better (PowerDVD)?
3. Where can I get (as in D/L) full versions of whatever is "voted" the best?

TIA everyone!

for encoding/ripping by tutorials,for playback newest power dvd4 deluxe from cdrsoft--like it most;) :)

Like mpsan I have just ordered a 2 ghz P4 computer (Dell -- I think it is Northwood core) and a Lite-On 16X dvd reader and was wondering whether PowerDVD or WinDVD is better. Unlike mpsan this will be my first foray into the world of DVD.

thanks.

stevarzo said:
Like mpsan I have just ordered a 2 ghz P4 computer (Dell -- I think it is Northwood core) and a Lite-On 16X dvd reader and was wondering whether PowerDVD or WinDVD is better. Unlike mpsan this will be my first foray into the world of DVD.

thanks.
COOL..are you on anandtech hot deals? "Dude...I got a Gateway!" :) Gateway specified the 512k Cache so it is a Northwood. I get a Liteon 24x10x40 as well as the 16x/48x dvd rom. My other system already has the Liteon and it does EVERYTHING.

zver said:
for encoding/ripping by tutorials,for playback newest power dvd4 deluxe from cdrsoft--like it most;) :)
Never did see it on cdrsoft (not sure if it is tool or what). However it IS on FOSI.

zver said:
OK, found it on cdrsoft and it is 33MB. FOSI is only 6.

Not sure what latest version is, however as cdrsoft has about 3 that will work on XP.

FOSI' is the older version but works fine (that's what I run). The deluxe versions are a lot bigger (haven't checked actual size).
If you're just going to watch movies, then hard to say, but I don't think you can go wrong with either PowerDVD or WinDVD.
Good luck mpsan & stevarzo.

Power

Power DVD ver 4 and WinDVD I like'm both but power DVD is my favorite. Fary few bugs has alwas worked well on all 8 of my computers

shadoe_phantom said:
FOSI' is the older version but works fine (that's what I run). The deluxe versions are a lot bigger (haven't checked actual size).
If you're just going to watch movies, then hard to say, but I don't think you can go wrong with either PowerDVD or WinDVD.
Good luck mpsan & stevarzo.
Great, I did notice that the one I got from cdrsoft is 33MB!! Fosi is 1/4th that!

May as well "try" the best! :)

mpsan said:

COOL..are you on anandtech hot deals? "Dude...I got a Gateway!" :) Gateway specified the 512k Cache so it is a Northwood. I get a Liteon 24x10x40 as well as the 16x/48x dvd rom. My other system already has the Liteon and it does EVERYTHING.
Mpsan,

Yes, I monitor and occasionally post on Anandtech and Fatwallet hot deals. I got in on the Dell deal that was posted there. Can hardly wait for the box to arrive.

stevarzo said:

Mpsan,

Yes, I monitor and occasionally post on Anandtech and Fatwallet hot deals. I got in on the Dell deal that was posted there. Can hardly wait for the box to arrive.
Not to get too far OT but I was looking into the DELL, but then I got GATEWAY to honor the price. Combined with employee discount I got it for $829 Delivered!!

mpsan said:

Not to get too far OT but I was looking into the DELL, but then I got GATEWAY to honor the price. Combined with employee discount I got it for $829 Delivered!!
Mpsan,

Also not to get too far ot...I got in on the last Dell deal (the one they cancelled). But they had to reinstate mine because they had already cashed my check:

8200, P4 w 2.0 ghz, 40 gig hd, 64 meg Geforce2 video, 512 MB RDRAM, 24X cdrw, AND the 17" think screen dual input LCD monitor for $1241 plus tax. Not too shabby either

bertieg said:
The one on main site has DTS Digital Surround and SRS TruSurround XT audio features hence the extra size.
GREAT, I got it but was not sure which patch to get. Just what is latest version? Got the 33MB one and the v 1213 patch.