A few general questions

Mr. Muddle

Hi.

Could anyone help with the following?

1- I have one single audio 'track' which is an hour long. If I put it onto CDR, I want to be able to skip to certain points in the audio without having to fastforward through the whole thing each time. I was advised on this board that I needed to place 'indexes' at the various points in the track. Is there a maximum number of indexes which can be placed before problems occur?

2- Do the digital track numbers displayed on an audio player change for indexes just as they do for separate tracks?

3- I have read that audio CD players only display up to a certain number of tracks on a CD, after which the display remains at that number even though the CD goes on to play further tracks. Is this the same for indexes?

4- As mentioned on the board a while ago, my Nero Express won't play my audio files in the editing section. Is there a SIMPLE no frills program (which has nothing to do with CD burning) in which I can play my audio files and see a graph like the one in Nero, etc, so that I can note the exact points where I wish to place my indexes and then simply enter these values manually into Nero?

5- How do I test the quality of my recording after burning? Is Nero CDSpeed a tester?

6- I want to backup my audio files before I start to burn. Do I simply place them onto a CDR (using Nero Express) just as I would on a floppy disk? Will all the file stay exactly as they are like how they do on a floppy disk?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok,gonna try few of those.
Regular audio player-cd-can play yp to 98 tracks.
If its more then that it might break your player ;)
For comparing the audio files(pcm)you might try a eac wav-compare tool.
Also you might even try encspot-it all depends what is a source.For encspot you can only check the quality though for mp3s and its outdated allready.
For indexes you have to try a editor which will place """boundary indexes""in the file.I know for sure that samplitude and feurio have a editor capable to do it-dont know for others.If i would have to do it muself i would go that way couse im confortable with it,but you could try cue sheets aswell but i always make a mess with it,so i dont play with it anymore,only if i got to make a simple one for (s)vcd couse it got lost in downloading and cand find it again-just an example-even for that i use a cuemaker couse its faster then typing :)
To backup the files just copy them in another folder or burn with nero as a data cd-will stay same.
And last one,you can open those files in every editor and zoom it so you know where the start-end is.For pcm use a feurio and for mp3 direct cut :)-in case wanna go with a cuesheet.Actually,i think feurio supports cue sheet aswell,except eac-noncompliant ones.
Both proggys are freeware.Feurio is also great to make a custom sample audio cds,and his editor is small but good :)
Read the feurio help file-it is explained there how to do that what youre asking for it-i remember it.Sorry couse cant help more but dont have a feurio or samplitude even instaled anymore;but somebody else might help it too :)
Edit;Using samplitude for it is a bit easyer maybe couse its got integrated burner too,so you can burn staright after editing.Probably even adobe audition and wavelab can do it too.
So,basically,look for what you can get ""free""as good editors are expensive :eek:

Last edited:
1. Handling indexes is variable - some players do it in a helpful manner, others not at all.
I'd use cuesheet tracks instead - and yes, up to 99, or else the extra digit will come out of the side of the display ;)

2. See 1, depends on the player

4. Still no luck with that?
If you want free, try EAC - You can create a cuesheet for a WAV file, with tracks and indexes, using the process WAV tool - and for a SINGLE WAV file, there is no problem with other programs accepting an EAC generated cue file - I track split a recording with it, no problem.

5. CDSpeed is a little limited, though if it supports your drive for C1 testin, it's not bad, - ortherwise the other C1/C2 scan programs have been mentioned several times - (CD Doctor and Kprobe) - for ease of use, I'd recommend CD Doctor, as Kprobe can be a little daunting.
CD Doctor works with many Sanyo or Mediatek chipset writers, particularly old/new Liteon's but some others as well.

6. A DATA CD is data, if you write as a data compilation, then WAV files will stay as WAV, MP3 will stay as MP3 and anything else can go there as well (like art and data files for a label)

Mr. Muddle

Thanks for the help.

98/99 tracks sounds good.

Cuesheets? I wanted to keep things as simple as possible since I am a newbie to CD burning. I've searched for info on cuesheets and learnt that they can be created and then used with a number of different burner software, but what other advantage do they provide and how do you use them?

"Still no luck with that?"

No. I haven't been paying that much attention lately, as CelticDruid has been helping me with other things I wanted to do. The Nero support person has given me a long list of complicated things to try, which I haven't got around to trying yet.

Does EAC only do cuesheets for wav files? I need one which does it for wav and mp3.

"boundary indexes"? I searched for those but didn't get any relevent results in the serach engine. What's the difference between plain old indexes and 'boundary' indexes?

What is this 'pcm' that everyone keeps mentioning?

Is CDDoctor free? Kprobe looks like it's free so I think I'll go with that one and the I've found a really nice and simple tutorial at cdrinfo.com which makes me feel comfortable about using it. I remember someone somewhere giving me a link to a webpage which shows how to interpret C1/C2 results, etc, but can't remember who or where!

"you can open those files in every editor and zoom it so you know where the start-end is"

What should I typr into the search engine for an 'editor'. What are these editors usually referred to?

Thanks.

Well,i said clearly in my post-its explained in great detail in feurio faq and samplitude help file.And honestly imo if you dont know what editor is i think you gonna have a big problem to do what you intend to.Anyway here is one,but also you can get a free ones too
http://www.samplitude.com/de/sam.htm
Btw,its almost stupid to give a 1000$+++ for a editor-unless you need it for some serius things,so look for a cheaper solution,i just gave you an example what the editor is and that is the one i always used-samplitude is very practical for a recording from line in too,as it will automatically record in any given format,split into tracks&burn it too&I do think that samplitude is the best audio editor of all so thats why the link is-best example of what a good editor is :)
Edit'You putted thats a mp3 files you wanna do.So maby also you can take those parts of files you like and put it in a foobar-couse with lame3.90 and above you can get a real gapless playback without any tricks.Try it,might satisfy you-but thats not what you originally intented.But it will work only with files made with lame3.9xxxx

Last edited:
EAC only opens WAV in the editor (Process WAV) - and you need the editor to lay down track and index markers.

It can rip a CD to MP3/CUE, generating a noncompliant CUE that can be fixed with minimal adjustment - I believe it makes a more serious error on multiple file compilations.

Laying down track markers with a cuesheet, is better than splitting into individual track files, as some programs seem poor at avoiding any track discontinuity with individual files - there are technical reasons, and if splitting a WAV with EAC, using the CD Sector adjustment should eliminate the problem.

Individual MP3 tracks also tend to cause a discontinuity - and if your MP3 encoder supports "gapless" mode, the tracks will only connect cleanly in the same order.

i remember i told you already before a few things about audio editing and etitors; also scarecrow linked to the free Audacity there;
What about trying such thing and reading the help file? for beginning i will atach the WaveLab helpfile here;

Mr. Muddle said:
"boundary indexes"? I searched for those but didn't get any relevent results in the serach engine. What's the difference between "boundary indexes" or "plain old indexes and 'boundary' indexes?
"boundary indexes" or "boundary markers" are start/stop indexes/markers in combination without a gap between;
look at the attached pic, it contains a start, a boundary and a stop marker;

Greetings from
Duracell

Attachments

Mr. Muddle

ok Thanks everyone.

Sorry if I've asked the same question elsewhere. Most of the time I can't even remember what I myself have asked before!

Note- Remember that I don't want to join a few separate tracks together or split one long track. I want my one long track to stay exactly as it is. I just want to place invisible markers throughout the one long track so that I could skip to particular points in it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mr. Muddle said:
Note- Remember that I don't want to join a few separate tracks together or split one long track. I want my one long track to stay exactly as it is. I just want to place invisible markers throughout the one long track so that I could skip to particular points in it
Question: I have a large wave file (e. g. a self-produced mix) I want to burn as several single tracks. No pause shall be between the tracks; the tracks shall fade into each other. How do I do this?
Answer:
Add the wave file to a Feurio!® project.

Start the track editor (button "Track-Editor" in the project directory).

Find the end of the first track and place the cursor at the desired point. Click on the icon "Split track (linked)" (5 icon from left) or select the menu item "Split track (linked)" from the menu "Actions".
If a break (according to the project settings) shall be inserted at the beginning of the track, select "Split track (not linked)".

Repeat this procedure for all further tracks.

After quitting the track editor you will find the new track list of the project in the project directory. Each track number now has a "<" in front (e. g. "<2"). This sign indicates that this is a "linked" i. e. fading into each other track. Feurio!® will now insert NO break between these tracks. Even if a break has been specified in the project parameters, NO break will be inserted between the "linked" tracks!

Note: Tracks fading into each other can only be burned with a CD-Writer that supports "Disc-at-once" recordings.
is this you want???

Last edited:

Mr. Muddle

"is this you want???"

Well that is one way of doing it. What you have described sounds like the one large file is split into several smaller ones which are joined together to sound as if it's just one large file.

I thought that it was possible to get a piece of audio 1 hour long, click on the 'index' button, place an index at 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc, burn the CD, then play it on a CD player and be able to skip to the 5 minute mark, 10 minute mark, etc, but the indexes are just little codes hidden into the audio which tells the player where to skip and does not affect the audible part of it at all.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I hope to try some of the advice here and post back to let you know how things went.

Mr. Muddle said:
I thought that it was possible to get a piece of audio 1 hour long, click on the 'index' button, place an index at 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc, burn the CD, then play it on a CD player and be able to skip to the 5 minute mark, 10 minute mark, etc, but the indexes are just little codes hidden into the audio which tells the player where to skip and does not affect the audible part of it at all.
this is exactly what you can do by using an audio editor; one exception: the indexes aren't stored in the audio file itself; the result will be a CUE and WAV bundle which is burnable with almost all burning aplications Nero inclusive;

Mr. Muddle said:
"is this you want???"

Well that is one way of doing it. What you have described sounds like the one large file is split into several smaller ones which are joined together to sound as if it's just one large file.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I hope to try some of the advice here and post back to let you know how things went.
This is what you need m8.Just do it and burn to cd and player will skip to that place where you dropped the index.Feurio is free also,so no probs to download the thing and do the job

Mr. Muddle

That's good news!

Nero Express lets you place 'splits' into tracks and it also lets you place 'indexes'. Isn't Nero's 'index' feature what I want?

Last edited:
Nope,nero is a second rate audio tool,while feurio is a real deal.Also imo Jens F.(feurio developer)is a guy who knows audio terminology wery well,so youll be pretty safe with him :)
To be precise,its been said that nero couldnt make ti ""gapless"".like youll always have a small pause in it :mad: