52x32x52 and Nero 5.5 Help.

Mr. Muddle

Hi.

I have just purchased the following:

LiteOn 52x32x52 Cd-ReWriter
(with) Nero Express 5.5.10.40
TDK CD-R74, 650 Mb, Reflex Ultra

I am a TOTAL beginner and was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on creating an Audio CD (that can be played in ordinary old audio players) using the above products.

Are there any suggestions for the above product combination, e.g. settings for...

Read Speed?
Writing Speed?
Frequency?
Channels?
Resolution?

Anything else I should do (or not do)?

Thanks very much.

well,be sure to disable a xp burning thingy(if using xp),and i would think that complete nero version is better then ""expres"""..If you cannot afford a retail....try to find it ""somehow somewhere""""or maybe even try some freeware like bao or burrrn..try search for all 3 things...
Also,for audio only thingies i would suggest you to try Feurio and eac...
Maybe Feurio is better for a novice(a bit less complicated),also its a excelent proggy-as eac is too.
Both are free :)
Feurio will have a simple editor too,so you can trim a files(songs)...Also its got excelent file manager and a rock-stable burning proces,included is a simple cover disagner too :)
After that eac is a next logical step :)

Project type MUSIC, Audio CD.... Nero Express should make things easy, but I'm no fan of the express interface.

One plus of Express (though it might be specific to Nero 6) is that you can set a zero gap for inserting tracks ... normally, Nero puts 2 seconds as the gap setting and you have to zero it manually in track properties.

Another free option is Deepburner, the ever-improving beta that is set to be shareware at version 2.

Or this
http://www.mp3surgeon.co.uk/doctor.php?source=web&cur=us
NB. Banner supported, not sure if it's a "harmless" static banner, or a nasty updating one.

Mr. Muddle

Thanks for the help!

Which software to use isn't the problem; the problem is that I wanted to know which type of settings, speeds, etc are usually recommended for the my hardware/software combination. Things like:

Read Speed?
Writing Speed?
Frequency?
Channels?
Resolution?

What is all this and which values do I choose?

Thanks again.

An Audio CD, by definition, contains 44100 Hz sample rate, Stereo (2 channel) 16 bit audio.

Most software can upsample from 22050 or 11025 Hz, and 8 bit to 16 bit, and mono to stereo.
MP3's are supported by many (most) burning programs, IF the sample rate is compatible - 32000 Hz sample rate is NOT an easy conversion to 44100.

Reading existing CDs? - slower is better if they are rough, and consider EAC - www.exactaudiocopy.org

Writing? - Modern media does NOT like very low speeds, but if you have a stock of CDR-74, I'd expect that to be older media (nobody sell anything less than 80 min these days) so 12x or 8x may be appropriate.

Mr. Muddle

Thanks for the suggestions.

Feurio isn't free, it's shareware.

I have read the reviews at cnet for deepburner and things don't look to good there.

EAC sounds good and the fact that it can edit ID3 tags make it quite appealing.

There is another one which I came across that seems to be popular....Burntaonce....any opinions on this one?

Does Burnatonce have an ID3 tag editor?

I think it's between EAC, Burnatonce and the Nero Express which I already have.

Thanks.

1st, Feurio is quasi-shareware- it DOES popup naggers, butit does not expire, and has no limitations at all (or to be more exact multiple burners and tird party image burning are supported only by the "professsional" version).
EAC is the best audio CD ripper and a pretty good burner.
There are a LOT of free ID3 tag editors out there... choice is subjective.
Nero Express is rubbish, you'd better stick to BAO- it is WAY better.

Mr. Muddle

THANKS SCARECROW, I REALLY NEEDED A QUICK RESPONSE!!!!

Which in your opinion is better at BURNING, EAC or BAO? Don't think I'm too concerned with RIPPING.

Also, I am going to use it for creating Audio CDs that can be played in ordinary old audio players. Which format do I choose to burn them to, WAV or CDA? Is there a difference?

And can BAO edit ID3 tags?

I've just visited the BAO website and came across this:

Adaptec's ASPI Layer 4.60 - Required to use burnatonce on Windows 9x/Me - unsupported.

I have Windows 98SE. Do I need to install the above driver? Won't I be able to burn without this driver? The description of the driver is here....

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?filekey=aspi32.exe

Thanks again.

Last edited:
oh..This is what i mean..All proggys we reccomend will be a good solution,so you might as well try`em all and see for yourself...
Feurio is excelent burner(audio-only) ,top of the line cd manager with small basic but workable audioeditor..Downside is that it can make a cds only from wave and mp3s,also its got a ripper too..
Bao is great burning proggy for data&audio..It can burn audio from most of lossy&lossless formats(very important),and if your burner is working properly with it.....should be your choice.... :)
Eac is one real audio proffessional choice..Its got best audioripper,burner for it(if your drive is supported)..Should be installed on every pc by default if you ask me :) ..It will rip-compress(if needed)-tag in one step..Its a must for audio.. :)
Finally..Foobar2000...Its a total package with everything...Its a cdripper,burner(audio only),tagger,diskwriter(it will convert to and from all files lossy or lossless format)and much much more..
All these aplications are free for personal use....
If i were you i would use bao like burner for audio and data and eac like ripper(audio burner too if your drive is supported)and Foobar for everything else couse its got excelent dsp,tagger.....and tons of stuff more...CHEck a serch for links to all of this app..
For ;last i would install a proper aspi4.60.1021 couse these apps works best with that one :)
Edit..bao cant edit tags..
In all appz just select..burn audio cd and it will do automatically :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr. Muddle

Thanks Zver!

Ok, I'll go for BAO first. Maybe I can download EAC later and use it only to edit tags if it's possible to edit tags only without using the program to burn, etc.

Alot of the titles of my audio on my pc is displayed in a foreign language in the Windows Media Player and Real One Player window as the audio is playing, so maybe I need to edit those into English, I don't know for sure.

I'll post back if (oops, I mean 'when') things go wrong!

UPDATE....where on Earth has the EAC website disappeared to??????????????? Can EAC be downloaded from elsewhere?

Last edited:

Mr. Muddle

Thanks LTR,

That is the same address I used but it's back on now. None of the EAC URLs worked for a good many hours yesterday.