411s-->811s

jake8131

I tried it. It flashed ok, drive showed up as a 811s in bios, but the activity light flashed on and off. I was lucky to flash it back to 411s. Don't try it! It doesnt work!

jake8131 said:
I tried it. It flashed ok, drive showed up as a 811s in bios, but the activity light flashed on and off. I was lucky to flash it back to 411s. Don't try it! It doesnt work!
Errr...And while you`re at it try upgrading the drive motor also. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .That`s the only difference....... ;)

PapaBear

plextorman said:
Errr...And while you`re at it try upgrading the drive motor also. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .That`s the only difference....... ;)

Nahh! I have successfully upgraded my 411S to 811S... the drive is the SAME. Just firmware update.

And yes, I DO burn at 8X and compatibility with readers was slighty better at 4X. But when using 8X Certified Media, everything works flawlessly.

So don't be afraid to upgrade your drive to 811s, of course, there's certain risk involved. But it might be worth it...

Thanks

Well,the upgrade works indeed flawlessly,but it's weird that the new firmware for a 811S (HS0P) still needs to be hacked to get it working on a flashed 411-->811...after all,if the drive is 100% the same,and the eeprom is flashed to the 811S,why is the firmware hack still needed?
This only proves me that there are still certain things that differ,even after the "upgrade"....

Zinkbath

What is involved in "upping" from 411S to 811S? is it just a matter of loading the 811S firmware or is there some hidden trick that I should know about first?

Zinkbath said:
What is involved in "upping" from 411S to 811S? is it just a matter of loading the 811S firmware or is there some hidden trick that I should know about first?
1st step is to look for a hacked firmware of a 811S and putting it in a folder with LTNflash....ONLY HACKED firmware will turn your drive into a 811S,don't use unmodified 811S firmware!
2nd step to do after you made all preparations(shutting down services,disabling DMA,emptying drive tray),is BACKING UP YOUR EEPROM!!!So,if something went wrong in the process of upgrading,you can restore the drive to it's original state......Eeprom is a unique ID,like a fingerprint,of a drive......Asking someone elses eeprom because you forgot/lacked to back up your own,,will result in a drive that's not 100% fine anymore if you want/need to reflash it to a 411S....
3th step is patching the eeprom of your drive,so that the 811S firmware can be used on it.
4th step is flashing your drive with the hacked 811S firmware.

4th step should be flash with hacked firmware(and update bootcode checked)
5th step should be reboot
According to the great patch makers ;)
:)

Zinkbath

Thanks guy's now for the BIG question (and I am not sure if asking this is allowed!) where do I get the patched firmware from? where do I get LTNflash? which leads me to the last question! if I need all this help should I leave well alone!!

Well,those files were abused to make money out of it....you need to get in touch with the webmaster of this page,because the needed files are password protected:

Link removed ---- appears to be dead rw

Also,I want to inform you that upgrading your drive is a risky business!!
Do it at your own risk,don't blame anyone but yourself if something goes wrong!

Zinkbath

Many thanks guy's, I have read all I can find and all you have provided and i have decided I don't know enough to be confident to complete the task (and return to original if it fails) I know my drive works fine now and will keep it that way.

Thanks again.

Mike

:confused: Why bother? I`m pretty happy with my 411S! (It`s NO Plextor,but you can`t have everything for this price..) I`m a patient man,so speed doesn`t bother me..All I want is to get from A to B with no troubles and most of all-NO coasters! ;)

nb

Nice info here so if you don't mind asking in what order should I apply all of these patches? thanks

nb

There is a new device patch for Alcohol 120% that includes 811S
source Alcohol forum

Zinkbath

Well guy's I finaly did it! I now have a 411S working as an 811S and seemingly as reliable as before! what is more it is much easier than I read it to be! Just try the Zebramod V4 from http://speedlabs.org/forum/index.php worked a charm for me and it comes with clear instructions on how to do it.