2x dvdr media?

i've upgraded to fw 1.80 on my AO3 but can't find any dvdr that burns at 2x that is cheap,anyone know of any that will work? or something to hack the brain out of the firmware to force it to go at 2x?:confused:

E

elpresidente

never saw a "hacked firmware" only found region patched ....
hmm...cheapest 2x certified r APPLE DVD-R (I think) 7.2€...

üsse

Datasafe are now doing a 2X certified disk that has been tested at 2X on Pioneer A04/104. You can buy these for £2.49 or 3.88€ in the UK.

Sorry for pointing to another forum, but.. MonkeyWrench, just saw this..

h**p://forums.afterdawn.c*m/thread_view.cfm/2483

I think users should have the choice to burn at 2x, and not have it dictated by the drive, as with CDRW--> cheap media, what is on the cover can often be exceeded in writing speed, with no problems (data verified etc..) so why not the same with DVD-R ?

>>X<<

PS-thanks for the low price media name, looking for good value dvd-r spindle, 1x or 2x..

Hmmm, this probably tackles some of what I said above.. :(

From the Pioneer site:

Writing with 2X DVD-R Media Beginning with the launch of the DVR-A03/103 DVD-R/RW drive, Pioneer has included a feature allowing 2X recording of DVD-R. This feature has been brought about by Pioneer's own engineering efforts. Within each drive are media specific optimizations called 'write strategies'. These write strategies are tailor made for specific media brands, making 2X DVD-R recording possible for those submitted to Pioneer.

Currently, the DVD Forum's specification for DVD-R recording is at 1X speed. Pioneer is able to base its 2X DVD-R recording feature on the DVD Forum's specification, making it possible to include this benefit to its customers.

Before Pioneer can support a candidate "For General" DVD-R media brand with 2X recording, the following steps must be completed. First, the media must pass the DVD Forum's verification tests for 1X DVD-R. After clearing these tests, Pioneer, with the media maker's cooperation, fine tunes the drive's write strategy for 2X recording, and then confirms the media's performance with mass production DVD-R samples. Pioneer can only consider DVD-R media to be 2X compatible after it passes these tests.

This development system, coupled with a given media brand's release date, means that 2X DVD-R recording may not be possible with all media. Unlike high speed CD-R recording, 2X DVD-R recording requires optimization. Without optimization, the possibility exists that the recorded media will lack the desired playback quality. This system has been implemented in order to avoid customer dissatisfaction with the performance of DVD-R media that is deemed not compatible with 2X recording.

Pioneer will continue to contact various media manufacturers to increase the number of 2X record compatible DVD-R media.

As of March 20th, 2002, Pioneer has qualified the following DVD-R media brands for 2X recording on our DVR-103/A03 and DVR-104/A04 series models. This list will be updated as more 2X DVD-R media brands become available.

Thanks for the info Strahlen. It seems wherever you look somebody has problems with one make or another. There are three different types of Datasafe DVD-R disks on sale at SVP, General Purpose, General Purpose 2X and Gen 3 White topped. The disks mentioned in the other forum are probably the General Purpose disks which sell for £0.79 or 1.23€. I'm going to give the white topped a go to see if they are any good. These cost £1.12 or 1.75€.
I can only assume that Pioneer intend to release new firmware to enable 2X writing for media that has passed it's tests. Not a very elegant solution. We could end up with loads of updates, not to mention the problem getting region free firmware that includes these updates.

Last edited:
np Monkeywrench, here in Eire, the prices are out of order, I sense shops play on the situation, having non-brand on one side of the shelf, branded on the other.. only after I'd bought a clutch of ' Infiniti ' DVD-R.. and come back to the shop wondering out loud about the 1x speed in front of one of the clerks was the ' certified ' situation made clear to me, with a diff. (after tax and vat) in price of up to 15 euro, depending on the media brand purchased!

Hmm.. in general the use of a DVD-R/DVD-RW feels kinda ' beta ' if you get my drift.. not the be all-end all solution to mass storage on one disc, but getting closer.. Hopefully Norton'll release a version of Ghost that'll have native writing support for the Pioneer drives sometime soon :)

>>X<<

I understand what you mean by a beta feel to current DVD-R/DVDRW writing, so many people with problems. Most due to bad media or problems with IDE/UDMA settings.
Just checked out prices at SVP, they will ship to Eire. TDK branded disks certified 2X work out at £4.29 or 6.61€ each delivered. The delivery hits hard adding 1.5€ to the cost of each disk. Verbatim branded are the same price too and other brands are cheaper. TDK must be one of the best brands and it is less than half the 15€ that you may have to pay.