2 bootable XP problem....

Please help me ....

I have recently formatted a friends harddisk using my computer.
I removed my D: hardrive and pluged his in....formated using XP disc...made sure it was fine...it is!

Now put my 2nd hardisc back in and when i boot up it now gives me 2 options of booting...but they're both the same:
Windows XP and
Windows XP

It sits there for 30 seconds and then boots up!

How can I get rid of this screen!

I reformatted my C: drive and still the same thing! I'm freakin' out.

Can someone enlighten me please???
Thanks in advance:confused:

Seems somehow you made two partitions available...open your boot.ini file..with text program..might have to unhide the folders and files...it should look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

(1) \Windows is saying only ONE BOOTABLE DRIVE...I'd almost bet yours shows 2...good luck

another way to fix it..is to insert the WindowsXP CD and use the Recovery Console..and type fixboot at the command prompt to fix the boot record...or type fixmbr to fix the Master Boot Record

**and why didnt you just format his hard drive on his computer...dont understand what your thinking was..but anyways...yeah live and learn

Last edited:
thanks for responding

Jroc,

Thank you sooo much 4 responding...it is very kind of you.

I have tried both fixboot and fixmbr from the recovery disc of XP...still the same problem!

I have tried to find the boot.ini file...I can't find it!
I looked in the system folder, in the system32 folder and also did a search but cannot find that folder.

If I'm doing something wrong could you please let me know?
Thanks for all the help...This thing is really anoying!

P.S. the reason why I formatted it at my place is beacuase it wouldn't format of his computer...soo i offered to do it at my place (Big mistake)...you got it "Live and learn".

Thanks again and I really hope I can resolve this situation!

you have to go to windows explorer...then tools..then folder options then view and uncheck the box..."hide protected operating system files"...the boot.ini is in the root directory of C: