105 died

My 2nd 105 drive in a year died on me today. :mad:
Cant read or write any discs blank or pre-recorded tried all fws that are available.Put the media in and the green busy light doesnt come on nor does it spin up.My burning soft says there is no media in the drive or the drive isnt ready so took it out and put a friends burner in and that works fine.Maybe I'll go for the Sony now.

awwww what !? :( bummer mate ?! is it still under warrenty !? if it is get it replaced and sell it on and buy yer sony !?

I'd Go with the Plextor PX-504A DVD+R/RW...since the +R/RW format is gonna be the winner...The Plextor can read -R/RW formats...but writes the better +R/RW

Sorry to hear that bertieg. After 2 burnouts in a year I would change brands also. How Many burns would you approximately say you've had on each before they died? Just asking because I've had mine 2 months and I'll start keeping count to see if this is just a pioneer thing.

It just can happen... replace it- and of course do NOT go for the Plextor, which is nothing more than an OEM NEC drive of the previous generation (= pretty bad stuff).

A mate burnt his out also but got it replaced under warrenty. The trick is not to "over use" them and let them cool down after a few burns.

maby super cool them with a hard drive fan bolted to the underside of the drive ?! or if you got enough space to have a slot spare above and below the drive put a cooler on both sides ?! :)

I think it's also a matter of luck... I have burned 13 DVD's (harddisk backup) in a row without a break on my DRU-500 on 1X disks (= more than 7 hours of continuous burning) and all went well, without taking special care of the burner (ordinary ATAPI case slot, without coolers and such)

scarecrow said:
I think it's also a matter of luck... I have burned 13 DVD's (harddisk backup) in a row without a break on my DRU-500 on 1X disks (= more than 7 hours of continuous burning) and all went well, without taking special care of the burner (ordinary ATAPI case slot, without coolers and such)
Yep, so have I but try it again tomorrow, then the next and the next and the next and see how long it will last. Its all accumulative m8.

ChickenMan said:
A mate burnt his out also but got it replaced under warrenty. The trick is not to "over use" them and let them cool down after a few burns.
Well,if you have to burn a few discs and cool them down????Better trash the garbage--Buy the real thing!!!

My 105 is running 6/7 hours a night with no probs so far. (all at 4x)
I dont use it for reading tho unless the disc is damaged or just hard to read. So it does get an odd break while the liteon rips to the HDD.
Like any electronic device, some are just lemons.
Berts just jinxed!! :D
Sorry M8.

Bertieg..just a couple of questions.Are you using hacked firmware,and do you use the A05 to rip with?I assume you're doing a lot of burning too.

Didnt need the hacked fw as I use my Liteon to rip with and the 105 was only used for burning.Sent it back to the shop,they tested it, agreed with me that its knackered and gave me a full refund.Went and bought elsewhere and now have another 105 to burn to death.lol

Okay..thanks bud!Was wondering if it had something to do with hacked firmware.The 'puter shop in town offers an extended warranty here for 3 years..no questions asked(reasonable price).Seems like it might be a good idea for my next purchase. ;)

VIPER_1069 said:
u gettin withdrawel symptoms eh berts !? :)
My 105 also died after only a few months. I swapped it under warrenty for the 106 with a cash adjustment, so far I am very pleased with the swap. If I do have a problem I will put up a post.