100% CPU usage

Hi everyone.

My system over the last few days has started to get quite slow, i have done a complete Defrag, not helped, then i happened to look at the Windows task manager and i could see a programme using betweet 70 and 85% CPU, the programme is called SMSS.exe, there is also another programme using between 10 & 20% CRSS.exe, what are these programmes used for? Can they be uninstalled or the CPU usage for these programmes brought down anyhow.

System:
XP Pro
XP 2600
768MB ram
80Gb HDD
Liteon 8x DVDwriter
Liteon CDwriter
Pioneer 4x DVD Writer
Gforce 3

Attachments

Last edited:

FrightfoO

SMSS is a normal process (stands for System Management Subsystem), but it appears that the SMSS on your system is a virus that's taken over and is disguised itself. I'm looking at my Windows Task Manager at the moment and it's using no CPU and only 40K memory.

Try scanning your computer for viruses. Here is a free anti-virus scanner - AVG Anti-Virus.

Have you also noticed any mouse lag? So when you move your mouse, there's a moments delay before the arrow appears in the correct place. This can be symptom of a virus infection.

Hi all.

Thanks for your replies, tried running a virus scanner on my PC but its not finding anything, think i`ll do a format.

Thanks for all you help.

Hi again fellas, ran the AVG virus scanner again it picked up smss.exe and SECURE.BAT system is now running fine, again thanks for your help. :D

jonss

tommyis3 said:
Hi again fellas, ran the AVG virus scanner again it picked up smss.exe and SECURE.BAT system is now running fine, again thanks for your help. :D
For future reference this is quite a good site for finding the use of the processes in the tasklist.