dvd drive problem....

i have a SUPERA DSM-6S165P dvd+/-rw drive....my problem is that it cannot play any dvd's or read any dvd's....but if i already have the dvd video on my hard drive it'll play it though in windvd....when i insert a dvd it just hangs and doesnt do nothing then when i open up windvd and tell it to play it gives me an error saying....

D:\VIDEO_TS is not accessible.

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

it looks like that drive....the one i bought is from compusa its a compusa brand dvdrw....well i was messing around earlier in the device manager and i got it to play dvd's now....it was set at ultra 66 or something like that....so i set it to ultra 33 and now its playing....my cdrw was set at ultra 33 and it works fine so i figured i set it at the same as my cdrw and it works!!..i dont know if it is the correct way that i was suppose to do....i dont know if its suppose to be ultra 66 or not....but ultra 33 works so im guessing ill stick to it for now....if anyone knows about anything please give me some advices thanks....

Master

Gold Member
My LiteOn 1635 is working fine with UDMA 66.

You will need different cables for it...the standard udma33 cables won´t work with udma 66,100,133.

Azurith

Sorry to necro-post, but I'm having a similar issue with the same drive (CompUSA DVDRW), bought it back in May for a small home-business thing (legal, I swear :cool: ) and it has worked marvelously until I booted up this morning. BIOS recognizes the drive, but it's not showing up in My Computer/Device Manager, and I can't get into anything to fiddle with it outside of the BIOS. Already cracked the case and made sure nothing jiggled loose, and near as I can tell it's all fine from the outside. Not really sure what's wrong with it. It had the drivers from the box, etc. Everything done according to directions.

Specs:

WinXP SP2
1GB RAM
3.39 GHz
Turbolink ATX2.03 500W PS
MOBO I'm not entirely sure, this system started out as a Dell Dimension 8400 series, had a brownout one day and it frag'd the PS, mobo, and some of the drives/USB hubs - not sure what the board got swapped for.

Last edited:
check the drive entries in Window's device manager;

if OK then check if a drive letter is allocatable in Window's drive management (in "computer administration")

if both doesn't help and you didn't install/change anything before the fail, it may be really dead;

Greetings from
Duracell

i have a SUPERA DSM-6S165P dvd+/-rw drive....my problem is that it cannot play any dvd's or read any dvd's....but if i already have the dvd video on my hard drive it'll play it though in windvd....when i insert a dvd it just hangs and doesnt do nothing then when i open up windvd and tell it to play it gives me an error saying....

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

D:\VIDEO_TS is not accessible.

There may be various reasons for why dvd is not playing.There is a lens in the dvd+/-rw drive that reads your dvd i think that is not working properly or it is damaged or your databus wire has been broken.Please check these problems if these ideas do not work then check for its installation if it is installed properly or not.