HELP! after installing cdrw can't read cd's

UniqueGoddes

Please help! I'm seriously losing major production time on this stupid issue (2weeks now).
I am using an old 390x thinkpad, running winXP pro. I installed iomega external cdrw (predator usb) and everything was working well. I burned several cd's cleared a lot of hdd space. Few days later I realized that my internal standard cdrom will no longer read cd's at all, no matter what media. Device manager shows no problems. I ran the automated troubleshooting, to no avail.
I uninstalled the cdrw (drivers & hardware) cdrom still can't read, I uninstalled the standard cdrom, shutdown, allowed winXP to detect and install drivers upon startup and I still can't read cds. It lights up, it whirs looking for the data, yet continues to tell me to insert cd.
I updated my system BIOS. Still nothing
I reinstalled the burner, the burner works fine, although it won't read the cdr I need to install an app from the cdr, which it worked fine before on my internal cdrom. Can anyone tell me how to get my standard cdrom working again? Also how can I fix the issue of the cdrw not reading other burned cd's?
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRr I'm so frustrated WAAAAAAAAAAAA I can't install fireworks and I need to finish my web page!

First I moved your thread so it should get the help you need, please take the time to post in the correct forum.:)
Also I've seen your problem before and in some cases it turns out to be spyware caused the problem. Try programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot-S&D. Try that and let us know how you make out.

try your CD-ROM in plain DOS (choosed "CD drives support") fresh booted from an old W9x boot floppy; insert your Windows CD and try to list the content;
so you will know if your problem is hardware related or a messed up Windows;

Greetings from
Duracell