dvd-r backup to dvd-r

how to do this perfectly.
can we just use dvd decrypter to read in iso mode then use it to write the iso back to dvd-r

Last edited:
You could also use any other program that supports burning DVD's; such as Nero, record now, Alcohol 120%, etc. Although copying on the fly may not be such a good idea.

Using DVD Decrypter in ISO mode and burning back can create problems. It appears to turn Subtitles on automatically. Also some copied that way will not playback at all.

The best solution I have found is to extract all files with DvD Decrypter in FILE mode, add an empty AUDIO_TS folder, run IFOEdit & load in a IFO file and hit Get VTS Sectors answering yes to all questions, then burn out with Nero in UDF/ISO mode.

a couple of questions about nero, do you use just the dvd/udf or the dvd/udf-iso mode??
do you need the audio folder?? i had just noticed in iso mode i had juliet ticked is this ok??
everytime i use nero it wont play on player(standalone) panasonic cv52
I used the dvd decrypter method and yes subs where on although there always on when i use clone dvd too, but then again 2 seconds and there off anyway, otherwise wroked a treat

All I do m8 is use DVDshrink for the original movie, compress just the title and use AC 6 audio only,( if avaliable). Then use Nero express. A piece of piss.
For titles I've already backed up, I just do a DVD copy, on to hard drive, using nero express, then burn.
Another way is to have a DVD rom and burner, and copy on the fly x4 read x2 burn.
I totally confused myself when I started burning, looking at all the tutorials, in the end its really easy.

The-poacher said:
CM Ive never had those probs But I usually Burn with Alcohol
I have had a couple of DVD5's simply backed up with DVD Decrypter in ISO mode and burnt back. The original plays fine, the backup does not. (and its not a media issue!) Extract in FILE mode then Get VTS sectors with IFOEdit and it finds lots of problems, burn out with Nero UDF/ISO and it now plays perfect. Same dvd, same ripper, just differnt mode.

If I then take that working backup, and back it up again with DVD Decrypter in ISO mode and burn back, the first subtitle track is one by default and you have to use the remote to turn it off. I can assure you I am not the only one that has seen this fault/bug. It may be an issue with my DVD player but that is telling me ISO mode does NOT make an exact image of the dvd iits reading.

@onlinejames, suggest you read the Burning section of the DVD to DVDR Tutorial for Nero settings.

All i do is use discjuggler first read the image to your desktop and then just burn the image back to another dvd-r and all mine that i have done that way worked OK

Thanks ch151 for reminding me of Diskjuggler. I tried it a log time ago for dvd-r backup and had problems, never looked at it since. New DJ versions, new firmware, etc so must give it a go.

I have had a similar problem when backing up dvd-rs.
Not sure it is decryptors fault, rather down to the application used to compress the original film not accurately repacking.
Decryptor then repacks it correctly and the subs are there.
With a lot of the so called compression programs out there , they do not keep an accurate mapping after title removal and problems do arise.
If u backup an origanal dvd5 disc this subtitles issue does not arise which shows it is the compressors repacking or authoring that was at fault.
Personally I never leave subtitles on any of my conversions as nobody i know cannot speak english.