xplorer² — the new generation!!(filemanager)

For those who dont know this one, its a dual-pane replacement for explorer.

This is from the homepage as there is no real changelog atm.
-----
xplorer² — the new generation
3 months down the road since the last alpha release, it gives me great pleasure to announce the beta release of xplorer². Yes, we are not finished testing yet but given the amount of testing that has gone into it already, this beta phase will be just a quick formality.

Where do we go next? As many of you already know, xplorer² is heading for a massive U-turn in its distribution model. Whereas the old 2xExplorer will remain freeware, xplorer² will have a free "lite" version for private/academic use and a "pro" version which will be shareware. The end of an era indeed... you will know more details very soon, since there's going to be a new redesigned website focusing on the new program.

No point pondering too much on this big change, that's life in the market-oriented world. Let's concentrate on the good stuff: I'm sure you won't be able to recognize xplorer² that lost around 2.5MB in weight and took on new exciting features — literally too much to list. The download package also includes an upgraded editor². So without further ado, here's the beta of the lite version:
-----
Current version 0.9.0.77
Well worth a look :)
http://www.netez.com/2xExplorer/

:)

This is a nice software from a compatriot of mine... (Greek).
Ain't bad at all, but to be honest since Total Commander is virtually freeware (never expires, you just have to push a button at a nagger on startup, NO other limitations whatsoever...) I never ever used another filemanager for some considerable time... all of them look downright ridiculous compared to TC.

Version 1.0.0.0 is out

Well, it suits me just fine, not complicated its fast and has all the features i want :)

Version 1.0.0.0 is out.
----
After a long wait and without much fanfare we proudly announce the official release of xplorer² along with a redesigned website. There is a new distribution system in place: a restricted lite version that is free for private and academic users, and a professional version that can be tried for free for 21 days.
----

Version 1.0.0.1 is out now.

Since I read the original posting of this I've been using that program. Great explorer interface. Features are really good. I bought it. Strongly recommended.

The only new feature I can see in 1.0.X versions is leaning towards shareware (advanced features disabled) and nothing more than that.

Sad, but I guess the bills have to be paid - donationware never really works very well, and the slightest hint of a nag tends to upset the guys that frequent alt.comp.freeware - while the existence of a pro version, leads to a dismissive grunt of "liteware" or "crippleware".

The toughest ACF determinant of "crippleware", is that if any option is marked unavailable unless paid, it's crippled - the merest hint of "you COULD do this, but only if you paid".

http://www.freecommander.com/index_en.htm - Freecommander is another dual pane file manager
Found HERE
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwfilemanagement.html

You don't like Window Explorer? - well there's plenty of alternatives!

What's wrong with Total Commander? The only hint of shareware is the nagger screen at startup, which you CAN live with if you're not willing to pay... other than that, it has NO limitations at all (both on trial time and features) compared to the registered version, and the "Total Commander Pro" simply does not exist- it is a myth created by crackers which distributed pre-cracked TC releases with the unofficial zip modules slotted in.

Tc is really great. Really worth it and even the "nag" screen isnt really nagging... Keep it open if you can't stand it! Or even better, buy it :)

Personally I disagree..

I tried TC and couldn't really get into it. This has more of the Explorer "feel" to it and some really nice features. Go read the PDF that is posted on the site and you'll see what I mean..

Version 1.0.0.2 is out now btw, so it's updated quite frequently with bug-fixes and whatnot.

1.0.0.3 is out

---
* fixed bug with WMP9 locking x2's process after exit
* registry tweaks for various 2x-friendly titlebar settings (see registry.txt)
---

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! I forgot to mention it.. I've been using 1.0.0.3 for about a month or so now as the developer gave a preview copy to registered users..

Great program.. I can't say enough about it.

v.1.1.0.1 is out 15 November
No real changelog, seems its a bug fix rel

[1.1.0.0] 3 November 2004 -------
* folder tabs :) (File | New tab) allowing many folders for each pane; use Window menu to close tabs
* saving tabs (Customize | Folder groups)
* robust copy operations with additional options for overwrite confirmations and
error handling (see Edit | Copy to dialog)
* registry tweak: GIOPT_ROBUSTPASTE(=131072) to decide if Edit | Paste goes robust (default=explorer paste)
* Edit | Duplicate (creates "copy of" file)
* /T commandline option NOT to restore tabs
* tabs move left/right with context menu
* tabbed folders included as targets in F5 copy dialog
* Actions | Folder settings | Suspend temporarily custom folder settings
* File | Trash (toolbar button only): delete permanently (like shift+delete)
* More translations

Last edited:

[1.3.0.0] 6 June 2005 -------
* Last active complex visual filter (Alt+H) saved and is available on restart with Ctrl+J
* registry setting "nHoverTimeoutMS" controls delay before hover auto expansion of tabs or tree nodes during dragging. In millisecons (1sec == 1000ms)
* new stock column: Streams counts files' ADS (see tip #165)
* Most customized icons are now read properly
* New tips: 9d, 88a, 88b, 93a, 152a, 156a, 162-164, 165
* File | Browse can open multiple selected items (asks confirmation)
* right click to rename a tab (semi-permanent)
* View | Visual filter | Auto-filter filters one particular file type out of those available in the folder
* % progress display for robust copy & resizable dialog
* fixed bug with MP3 comments
* settings saved properly during windows shutdown
* Raw "encoding" for file text search (FindFiles command too) to search file raw bytes without interpreting text content in any way (e.g. BOMs or text filters are ignored). Makes all searches binary & case sensitive.
* Text encoding settings available in find files dialog
* possible to change folder time/date with Actions | change attributes (not for 98)
* Tools | compare subfolders automates the tedium of creating dual-pane flat scrap windows for comparison/synchronization of folder hierarchies.
* Sync wizard: "Loose name matching" option matches items by name ignoring their relative position in the folder hierarchy. Useful for dual scrap windows, but note you can't sync-o-paste the results of such a comparison
* "scenario" combo box in Ctrl+F9 dialog offers easy access to typical synchronization scenaria
* quickviewer gets extra tab "Normal" showing the exact preview of the focused item (ActiveX) for word, excel etc documents. "Draft" preview is the traditional quick mode for text, graphics and media. You can even edit word documents(!) to switch between normal/draft modes
* registry option "rgbActiveBgcol" to set background color of active folder
* "rgbFilterBgcol" registry option changes bg color when a visual filter is active, hiding some of the items in a folder pane
* new media-related stock columns for detailed view (most for windows XP only)
* all filesystem columns available for selection in scrap windows (may cause confusion if any non filesystem items are present)
* "autosize columns" added to the context menu of infobars
* new translations: Swedish, Hungarian and Chinese simplified

Last edited: