XP problems

I have recently installed windows xp. There are a few problems.
1.The 'looks' are not what they should be, almost everything has something that is wrong. Webpages and programs are too big, icons in the system tray look very bad, etc.
2.Also the keyboard doesn´t work properly anymore.
3.The connection to the internet, cable, does not always work. It can be fixed by disabling and enabling the network adapter through the device manager. However this doesn´t help permanently.

Any suggestions to get this fixed.

N.B.

Staff member
Hi !
Moved the thread into its correct section:
Operating Systems -> Microsoft -> Windows XP

Have a nice daY :)

I managed to get the keyboard working again, but unfortunately that's all.
About windows 2000: before I go through the trouble of installing another OS of which I know nothing, can anyone tell me if it is compatible with most programs? (I only lost 1 program with XP, but that was bad enough).

Goodby XP, welcome 2000 and a new problem. There is no sound. When selecting a file using the menu nothing happens (with any player). The music is only "played" for about 2 seconds, then the players stop. Only when trying to play a file by double-clicking on it, Winamp spits out an error message. Apparently some other program is using the soundcard every time\all the time. No idea what that program is, if it's true....
Any suggestions, apart from format C:) ?

XP should have better device support no matter what anyone else has told you so far in this forum. 2000 has few usable drivers for newer hardware. XP is NT 5.1 2000 is NT 5.0

As to your problem:
1. Make sure your BIOS is set to PNP (Plug-N-Play), or your drivers may not get loaded right.
2. After initial install of XP, (or 2000), open the Device Manager and check for ! -ed out hardware (problem devices).
3. Identify the bang-ed out devices by name, go to their web sites and download the right drivers (Video especially).
4. Right-click on the desktop, select Properties.
5. Go to Desktop tab (2nd), click on Customize Desktop at the bottom. Enable the desktop items you want (all is the same as the old 2000 interface). Close when done.
6. R-click on the Start button, Properties. On Taskbar tab, unclick Hide Inactive Icons; on Start Menu tab, Customize, Small Icons, then Advanced --> make settings as you had them in 2000 or as you like.
7. In Explorer.exe, goto Tools, Folder Options. Check Use Classic Folders. On the View tab, Show Hidden files and folders, uncheck Hide Extensions, uncheck Use Simple file sharing.

There are other tweaks you may like as well. This is a start. No operating system looks right out of the box, including Linux. You just have to take a breath, take time to set it up the way you like. Ignore lazy comments to "just format" or change. Try to make it work for you first.

Hope this helps.

Out of the blue the internet connection disappeared with Windows 2000, great another problem. I'm trying to go back to 98se for now. Trying, because somehow the hard disk has now some kind of write protection and I can't even install everything that was installed before.

no comfort i know...but i've had XP for 8 months...full install and i've had no probs whatsoever..smooth as silk wouldn't go back to 98 for anything and ME...well...best thing about ME is you can stop staining the desktop with coffee and use it as a coaster with 98 not far behind...i think most of the probs people have with XP is due to incompatible devices and drivers....thats what XP is VERY touchy about....[ no i don't work for Bill and i'm not related :D ] installing over another OS is NOT recommended for XP according to all the experts

Dual sys

I use win 98 and XP,98 is better for games ,XP is better for work and Internet.I try Linux for future....

yes XP may have the most moans BUT i think its because its new AND people tend to think it follows 98/ME....BUT of course thats far from the truth....it follows 2000/NT....so those who jump from 98/ME run straight into trouble with hardware and software...also a lot of those who like tinkering with 98/ME trip up with XP and mess the OS up......2000/NT are not games OS.....98 clogs up VERY quickly and slows down.....ME ???....weeeell we won't mention ME....i'll just put my coffee down :D.....XP for aaaalll its faults does not accumulate crap like 98/ME so that it slows down to a crawl within 6months and is the most stable OS for games that my mate Bill has issued soooo far.....lol.....old hardware old drivers AND XP just don't mix.....best way to install it is to get rid of ALL the loose hardware..install it and try the hardware AND drivers one at a time...sort out the GOOD the BAD and the UGLY.. :D

yep I had this problem of trying to get back to 98se after having xp on my drive formatting c: didnt work to well,I found using the 98se or millenium boot disk then running fdisk to kill of the partition then reinstate the partition format and reload with 98se worked fine no probs.Ihave since gone back to xpcorp having the correct drivers etc is the answer.