XP Problem

the last time i rebooted my machine windows started as if it had just been installed.....by that i mean the welcome to XP tour came up and most of my shortcuts and files saved to desktop had disappeared..... i did a restore and evrything came back as normal but leaving me to wonder how this happened..... i do not have SP1 installed so i know it has nuthin to do with that..anyone have any ideas?

have you tried running XP AntiSpy? It will get rid of help and other useless junk that can sometimes creep up and reset or restore some functions.
Could also be some error that occured with your System.ini file? Who knows, am sure there are tons of reasons why this could have occured (including someone hacking in lol).
Anyhow, hope it all gets sorted and good thing you were able to restore things back to how they were =).

i installed antispy as soon as i installed XP (the very first program i nstalled) and i am running Norton Internet Security (updated regularly....altho i am quickly losing faith in Norton) but it has been shutting down for some unknown reason so i guess it could be a hacker....but as soon as it shuts off i restart it and run Netstat and it shows no connections that i dont recognize... been thinkin of installing another firewall and seein what happens

i wasnt saying anything bad at all about symantec's products i have used NIS and NAV solely for all the years i've been online and never had a reason not to trust them... however my firewall constantly shutting itself down and no indication of a virus or trojan on my system has left me stymied.... i wasnt aware the newest release of the firewall was available yet either or i would have been looking for that....the only 2003 products i knew of to date was system tools and antivirus.... i also heard they were cooperating with microsofts new eula but dont know how they r cooperating.(ie are they feeding info from liveupdate to M$, or allowing M$ access thru certain ports?? ) makes me kind of leary... like i said this is just sumthin i heard... dont know if its true or not

dx

Ummm...Johnny™ I think you need to reread Poko's post again. There's a little dark humor in there ;)