Xbox Live bans modded Xboxes - and no way back

Using an Xbox console with a mod chip installed to play Xbox Live

Microsoft does not support modified Xbox hardware. This applies to any use of the Xbox console, regardless of whether it is playing standard “offline” game titles or online-enabled titles with Xbox Live. We are unable to assist you with the setup or usage with a system that has been modified, and should the system need repair, a modified system voids your warranty.

Q: Will Microsoft block modified Xboxes? What will Microsoft do with boxes that have been modified?

A: Microsoft will defend the gaming experience for our users on Xbox Live, and will not approve the use of any game cheating devices for the Xbox gaming platform. This is a violation of the Xbox Live Terms of Use. If users attempt to access Xbox Live with an Xbox installed with modified hardware or unapproved software, their Xbox will be blocked from accessing the service now and in the future. Microsoft reserves the right to take other appropriate action in the future, which could include canceling the user's subscription.

Q: Can I still play on Xbox Live if my Xbox has been banned because it had a mod chip installed?

A: The Xbox with the mod chip installed that you used to try and connect to Xbox Live will be blocked from accessing the service now and in the future. For now, You are free to continue using your Xbox Live account, but will need to play on another Xbox. You can move your account in one of the following ways: If you have previously saved your account to a memory unit, you can move to another machine. You can use the account recovery process from a different machine to bring back your account. You can go into the dashboard under the memory section and save your account to a memory unit. NOTE: Microsoft reserves the right to take other appropriate action in the future, which could include canceling your subscription.

Q: If my Xbox has been banned from Xbox Live because it has a mod chip, can I get back online if I remove the mod chip?

A: No. Unfortunately, once an Xbox has been modified it can never be put back to the original, non-modified state that is in compliance with terms of use for Xbox Live.

See excerpt from the Xbox Live Terms of Use:

SERVICE OPERATION AND EQUIPMENT

Xbox Live may only be accessed with an unmodified, except for Microsoft authorized repairs and upgrades, Xbox video game console. Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute or use for other purposes either the hardware or software of this system, is strictly prohibited and may result in termination of your account and/or your ability to access Xbox Live via your Xbox, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft. Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security, and such users may also incur criminal and/or civil liability.

Microsoft reserves complete and sole discretion with respect to the operation of Xbox Live. Microsoft may, among other things: restrict or limit access to Xbox Live; (b) retrieve information from the Xbox used to log onto Xbox Live as necessary to operate and protect the security of Xbox Live, and to enforce this Agreement and (c) upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of Xbox Live or any game from time to time without notice, which may involve the automatic download of related software directly to your Xbox video game console, and which software may prevent your Xbox from accessing Xbox Live. Microsoft has no obligation to maintain any content or services, and has no responsibility or liability for the deletion, loss, corruption or failure to store any messages, software or other information or content maintained or transmitted by or through Xbox Live.

yeah, right ;)

to bypass this is easy, replace your modified xbdash.xbe with a copy of your original one BEFORE booting your xb live service, just swap them over as you require using boxplorer :)

ABCman I got a couple of questions

1)
So you are saying that if we use a modchip (such as the matrix) but haven't modified our hard drives, then we won't be banned by the xbox life server?

2)
if we use a DVD-R of a xbox live game, like NHL2k3, NFL2k3, mechwarrier, UT champiosnhip, etc., it also won't ban us (by detecting that we are using a copy?)

Thanks

prime