WinXP & Mandrake 9 dual boot

9D

I am currently using WinXP on my computer and would like to dual boot with Mandrake 9.0. Is there anything special I will need to do in order for this to work properly? I have 3 40 gb partitions, 1 for XP, 1 for downloads, and 1 is empty. I wanted to use the empty one for Mandrake. I do not, natuarally, want to lose any data in my WinXP partition. Thanks for any help.

Hi,Linux is new to me aswell!! It took me 2days to work out how to get it installed and dual bootted [only got the discs and no manual ]

First,from what I read in other forums,Defrag your drive [this moves any windows files from the end of your HDD ]

Reboot into windows insert disc 1 follow the prompt.

Linux finds the free space on your drive then, unless you know all about linux and got the maual,read the book,seen the film etc, go for the auto install.

You'll have to make some choice about KDE or GNOME[ seems KDE is a good bet !]

Apart from that it should be a breeze.

A good place to start before you do anything is go and have a look on the forums at w*w/linux.iso/org

you can pick up some good tips

Good luck :) :)

9D

Thanks for the input. I said screw it and installed Mandrake last night and everything turned out fine. LILO launches on reboot and gives me an option to run windows or linux. Do I need to install JRE in order for Open Office to work? During install of Open Office, it asked for the Java path, but I could not find it. Thanks for the help.

9D

It isnt hard Armagan1. Its actually quite simple. If you have an empty partition, just choose it during the install process. After it is done installing you will be greeted with a OS chooser screen every time you boot up and you can pick which OS you want to use. Mandrake is pretty nice, you should give it a try. May take a couple days to get used to, but i believe it is worth it.

9D said:
It isnt hard Armagan1. Its actually quite simple. If you have an empty partition, just choose it during the install process. After it is done installing you will be greeted with a OS chooser screen every time you boot up and you can pick which OS you want to use. Mandrake is pretty nice, you should give it a try. May take a couple days to get used to, but i believe it is worth it.

thanks for your stimilative approach 9D, if it's that much easy, i'll give it a try very soon.. thanks again!

pokopiko said:
OpenOffice 1.01 does work even with JRE not installed, although a default Mandrake 9 installation also includes JRE 1.4.1 and Mozilla 1.0.
jre is part of mandrake 9, but it's not by sun or blackdown.org, it's just some useless package called kaffe or something like that. if you got much space left, install sdk by sun or blackdown. better use sun java, they've got rpm package, easy to install.