will DVD+R/RW eventually kill DVD-R/RW

I thought.........the standard format should be DVD+R/RW which eventually the older DVD-R/RW........(this format is only for authorizing DVD, and it will not be compatible with future electronic device........which will DVD+R/RW)

please give input

E

elpresidente

hmm ... DVD-R/RW isn´t only for authoring ... so nobody knows which one will survive ...

I read an article that -R will be the standard for WRITE ONCE and +RW for REWRITABLE ....

greetz

At a practical level I doubt Microsofts endosment of DVD+R/RW will make the slightest bit of difference as decent software is already available which supports DVD-R/RW & DVD+R/RW.
(I expect Microsoft got a bigger bung from the DVD+R/RW camp or simply wanted to knobble Apple Mac's popularity in DVD authoring by using a different standard.)

I expect the main reasons for people picking one camp or the other will be speed & the cost of the media and at the minute DVD-R/RW is the cheaper of the two formats and I'm sure that 2x generic media will soon be released at a price that won't break the bank.

I'm quite happy that I bought a Pioneer DVD-104 drive as the media is cheaper and apparently more compatible with DVD players.

I'm sure Microsoft will support DVD-R/RW natively as well as they seem to be jumping on the bandwagon of offering support for anything that can be plugged into a computer.

In a few years from now, we may very well be using something the size and shape of a credit card with 1TB capacity. Thus rendering this whole dialog mute. (One can only dream)>>>

E

elpresidente

@ Pokopiko

I think I´ve already read something about it ... I think Sony prepares such "Combo" drive .... but I don´t know it exactly ..

greetz

Kre

Sony does prepares a Combo-Drive for DVD-R and DVD+R (but they are not shure wich kind of rewriteable they will use) - there will also be a Combo-Drive from LG late June wich reads and writes DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD-RAM.
DVD-R are not really cheaper than DVD+R Media but DVD+R is simply the better format (read the Specs) - Phillips and Sony are in it (and they build the CD) and the compatibility is near 90% (like DVD-R) - Apple does DVD-R simply because there werent any real product to build in in the highend G3 despite Pioneers first Consumer DVD-Burner.
DVD+R is faster (fact).
True is here in Germany I know only of two drives able to burn DVD+R - one from HP and one from Memorex (but i doubt this will hold for long)

E

elpresidente

I just did a little research.... and DVD-r r much cheaper than +R ..

maybe u r able to post a url with cheap DVD+R ?! I didn´t find them ... sorry ... btw. it´s hard to find stores which r selling DVD+R ...

hmm.. I think u missed something I´ve read in the "Computer Technik" .. they don´t think that +R is the better standard...

hmm..little additon..from zdnet.de

"Während mit dem neuen Einzellaufwerk das DVD+RW-Format favorisiert wird, werden Sonys Komplett-PCs, wie etwa die aus der RX-Reihe, mit einem OEM-DVD-R(W)-Laufwerk von Pioneer, dem A03, ausgestattet. "

the same for HP !!!!!!!!!!!!

I leave that without comment !

greetz

Kre

This really nice cause HP builds DVD+RW / DVD+R Drives (and is in the DVD+R-Alliance) and Sony just leaved the DVD-R-Alliance.
Also Dell sell only with DVD+RW.
Think about it - maybe for OEM use Pioneer is simply cheaper - and going golden for this modells there simbly wasnt a DVD+R Drive - and for Premastering you dont use an Rewrideable-Media.
Next - "Computer und Technik" did'nt sayed they liked the other either.
w*w.alternate.de - Verbatim CD+R Media 13 € (2 € are the difference VideoBox to JewelCase they also sold them in JewelCases till last week) - They dont have DVD-R Media for general use (also such a thing in DVD+R there is only one format).
And about the specs simbly read them - the physics alone says anything.

E

elpresidente

CT´more pros for DVD-R

btw.. lol 13€ very good price .. I BUY Princo DVD-R for about 3 € inkl shipping and EU taxes !! hahaha !!! USD 1.58/disc without shipping and taxes ...

I think 13€ compared with 3 € ... hehe ... nothing else to discuss ... -R rulez ...

greetz

Tis cruel.
85p per dvd-r :p
Without letting everyone know where you get em from.:(

Too right. elpresidente taking current price into consideration DVD-R/RW has no competition.

Don't even think about DVD+R/RW unless you've money to burn

E

elpresidente

yeah ..very good !! I will give them a try next time ;)

thx for this shop in EU... it´s much easier ....

greetz