Widows 2000 does not see my keyboard during installation

I'm setting up a multiboot system. I have Win98 installed. I'm using Acronis as the boot manager. I'm trying to install Win2k on a secondary HD in an NTFS primary partition created with Partition Magic 8 from the Win98 installation. Everything seems to go fine until after the first reboot during the install. As soon as the Win2k splash screen comes up I see the Num Lock light go out on my keyboard. Then Win2k moves along and goes through the hardware detection phase. I get to the window where I'm supposed to type in my name and "no can do."

I've tried 4 different keyboards. All of them PS2. I also have a serial mouse plugged in and a USB mouse. They both work. I've tried 3 different versions of Win2k all three have SP3 slip streamed.

What am I doing wrong?

Are you certain that you have PNP (Plug-n-Play) enabled in your BIOS? Could not be finding your kbd...

==> Markbot

try to deactivate Acronis OS Selector temporary, mayby the W2k hardware detection conflicts with OS Selector's Linux keybord driver;
personally i haven't your problem, no need for reinstalling W2k since i use OS Selector;

== ipdave

i thought it isn't recommended to set "P&P OS", because Windows never will be really P&P; :confused:

Greetings from
Duracell

@Duracell
PnP allows your system to pick up the hw that is PnP compliant (PCI cards normally are now). I have had systems that missed video cards, NICs, etc until it was enabled in BIOS; until that time the PCI bus never even tried to arbitrate to find them. WinNT on the other hand was never PnP and that caused probs until DISbled. Only reason to ever disable PnP now is if you have a really old or cheap m/b that is not designed well.

I got the program to install by right clicking in the name field and inserting some symbol. Since then I've done all the Windows updates (about 100 MB after SP3). I've done this all with the mouse since my keyboard still doesn't work. It works fine when I boot into Windows 98. But still all three lights flash on it when the Windows 2000 splash screen comes up and it stops working after that. I can't type in a user name at the log in screen.

I can see my Microsoft natural keyboard in device manager. I've had it reinstall the driver for it and that didn't work. I removed it from the system and rebooted. When I got back to the desktop Windows said it found a new device and I had to reboot. I felt like I had solved the problem, but still it doesn't work.

I will play around with the BIOS some to see what I can change.

I've had computer problems in the past as we all have. I can't believe I'm having trouble with a keyboard. I'm glad no one is watching me. This is embarrassing.

ipdave

i think disabling "P&P OS" option in BIOS let detect your P&P devices by your MB/BIOS and (pre)reserves the resourseces by your MB/BIOS ready for hand over to your OS;
enabling "P&P OS" let the MB/BIOS ignore the nonessential hardware, so it's the job for your OS to detect the hardware and allocate needed resources;
till now i always set up my systems (currently W2k SP3) as "non P&P" and "Standard PC" (non ACPI);

but you are right, Markbot should try both possibilities, maybe "P&P OS" could solve his problem;

Greetings from
Duracell

Problem solved. BIOS update did the trick. Reason for release of updated BIOS "This BIOS upgrade resolves some minor technical issues." Yeah pretty minor, not seeing the keyboard.

Tabor mobo went from p12 to p14 BIOS rev.