Why HD runs when inactive?

My new Athlox XP and Maxtor 80 gig. The HD runs a lot by itself and I can only think it is PC Health. Most times it stops just doing a Desktop REFRESH.

Any suggestions to check? Nothing on START UP would do it unless MS UPdate spy.
WinMe of course.

Me too....

I have a similar experience with my Western Digital 80GB that I just added. It will start spinning while I'm using apps and games that aren't installed on that drive. When I'm gaming, for instance, it will start spinning after being idle for a while, and it makes the game hang/lag for a few seconds.

Why is it that this drive is called upon even when it has no information on it that I would need?

Are you running XP? If so, then be sure to disable indexing. Indexing keeps track of the files that are accessed most frequently. When the PC is not in use, XP then rearranges the hard disk and moves these files to the front. It will continuously do this...

go to Services under Administrative tools
stop the Indexing service
disable the Indexing service
go into windows explorer
double click your C: (or whatever your main is)
once open select all
select all hidden if it prompts you to
right click all selected files
choose properties
choose advanced
uncheck the "For faster file searching, allow Windows to index this folder"
apply to all subfolders and files

It was explained to me that not only is this service used for searching, but also for system performance enhancement. I noticed that I would defrag my drive with Norton, and the next day it would be all fragmented again. I had done nothing on the PC except leave it on overnight. Ever since I have done this, my drive remains optimized and Norton is happy...

If I am way off on this one, somebody please correct me because it wasnt a Micro$oft engineer that told me this one!:confused:

...hope this helps?

mag046,

It makes sense to me but the drive I'm speaking of doesn't have Window's installed on it. I use it for backup of data and music files. That's why I can't understand why Windows would need to spin this drive when I'm playing a game that is installed on my other 40GB hard drive, the one that has Windows installed also.

But I do want to thank you because you taught me something that I didn't know.

If you have two disks you can stop the one (2nd) from control panel - power options - turn off hard disks.
But if you have one (no matter how many patritions) it will not stop to run.

You have to turn off the indexing for each drive installed that Windows can see (hard drives). It will index and optimize the drive even if there is nothing on it.

I too have two hard drives, one has all my installed apps on it the other is for archiving files. The second physical hdd was being spun and sorted even before I transferred any files to it...a Windows thing. I believe that it was building the index table, in preparation for being loaded with filesets.

Once you disable the indexing service, this will not allow any drives to be indexed. I change the actual drive (and subseqent folders) indexing properties to unchecked (disabled), just to be sure. You can specify only specific files and folders to be indexed, but Windows will still build and maintain the index even if only one small file has it specified in its properties. The only sure fire way is to turn it off.

*edit*

Have you seen this site:

http://www.blkviper.com
http://www.blackviper.com

His site goes along with what I am referring to, just into much more depth than just the indexing service. He is also doing a massive site overhaul, so you might have to try at different times to access the content. Just be sure to use caution when applying his recommendations.:D

Last edited:
Thanks mag, I'm goning check it out :)

Oh, and I just turned off the indexing on that drive. I'll experiment with it to see what I get.

EDIT:
Excellent site, Thanks!

Last edited:
No prob...hope this helps, nothing more irritating than a computer that thinks for iteself! Let alone, Bill thinking that he knows what is best for our specific needs...:mad:

Also, take BlackViper's recommendations for what they are worth. Quite a few of my buddies have caused themselves much grief implementing the service recommendations. Just be careful with them...read and re-read the service dependancies and remember all of his settings are HIS interpretation of services. Although most are good, some of his recommendations are based purely on HIS opinion. Read his site and form YOUR own opinion on how to config your services to fit your box.

Be sure to let us know how it goes...:D

*edit*

@ChiMusic - if you visit his site, you will notice on his "Coming Attractions" (or whatever) list he is going to be putting together some recommendations for WinMe. I dont have that much experience with Me but I do have a box running it. I will check out the indexing/optimization processes for Me and figure out how to control them...I'll let you know in a few days, gotta travel for this weekend.

Until Sunday or Monday...later:D

Last edited:
Win who what when where

I was thinking it might have something to do with READ AHEAD also.

This might be an UPDATE as what is causing some lockups/bootup and files not found on boot up.

My Duron was a 20 gig and this MIGHT be a problem as direct MB => HD vs Duron. I have been playing stupid as WinMe not THAT bad all that Duron time but NOT compatable with newer bigger/faster?

I also notice that when I start a pgm and HD stops that it can free up 40 meg or MORE automatically.

Indexing sounds good. Possibly activated WITH the 80 gig partitioned vs 20.

Details details you never hear about. I was better off TOO drunk and on one told me follow up details THEY wanted.

I think I know what to do for old age now, DRINK and no women.

Some help

I disabled the MSI MB monitor but maily due to the modem mudule.

WinMe had some updates and a critical System Restore and it is running/booting better so far.