Why Create an AUDIO_TS Folder?!?!?

chronicking

When i open Nero to burn a Video Cd(DVD) it alwayz creates an AUDIO_TS folder, but when i add VIDEO_TS files and burn the back up and recheck it, there is nothing in the AUDIO_TS folder. Is this folder necessary?

-I backed up a DVD using ROXIO 6 with the Classic Creator Mode in Data CD format and just Created a VIDEO_TS folder manually without the AUDIO_TS folder and it worked fine. Once again, is it necessary to have this AUDIO_TS folder in your backup????!!!!!

-thanx for any replies!

Because it doesn't take much time to add and makes the disc more compatible. Some players won't play Discs without an AUDIO_TS folder.

Personally, I see no technical reason at all to put the empty AUDIO_TS folder on the dvdr (though I tend to do so out of habit). Hollywood is selling a substantial number of DVD's without an AUDIO_TS folder. If they would be restricting their sales by any small amount without its inclusion, then I'm sure it would be there everytime. But its not.

There has been a lot of talk about some DVD Player not able to play a dvd without the AUDIO_TS folder. I use to asked the question, please, someone name a DVD Player that requires it. I have asked that question a dozen times on MANY forums and to date I have never had an answer. I dont ask the question anymore.

Yep, I'd read many a claim in the early days but when push comes to shove, no one could name a player that needed the AUDIO_TS. Thas burn the same files onto same media using same software with & without the AUDIO_TS folder. That has NEVER been reported in any of the forums I've frequented, including cdrom-guide.

Enough people have said we need to include the empty folder (me included) with no explanation as to why (other than to make it more so-called compatable) that we have all just come to accept it. Most authoring software spits out an AUDIO_TS folder as well, so we just burn it as it takes almost no effort and practically no space on the DVDR.

every program i use puts it in automatically so i think personally its not a prob to have it :)

I use nero mainly to burn my already compiled dvds because thats what im used to doing and it works just fine ....and YES you CAN delete the empty folder but as per everyone else here why bother !? whats it take up out of 4.7gb ?! practically nothing its a single drop in the ocean :)

scarecrow said:
Is it such a fuss to insert an EMPTY (most of the times...) folder to ensure maximum compatibility?
No fuss at all but please explain how including the folder maximizes compatability, as you quote? Thats the bit I can't come to grips with.

Well look at it this way even if you don't believe that there is a player in existence that won't play discs without an AUDIO_TS folder I find it even harder to believe that there is one that won't play discs that do have an AUDIO_TS folder therefor any disc with an AUDIO_TS folder must be more compatible.

I was hopeing for a bit more technical reasons why the AUDIO_TS folder should or should not be added, looks like it still remains unanswered. Thanks guys.

ChickenMan said:
I was hopeing for a bit more technical reasons why the AUDIO_TS folder should or should not be added, looks like it still remains unanswered. Thanks guys.
Quite simply because it IS a precondition, following the DVD Forum specifications.
It does not mean that it's a must for any DVD disk one can create, but the specs DO mention it as a standard to any Video-DVD disk.
Of course you may argue that you've made lots of video DVD's without this folder and having them working "anywhere", and be absolutely right, but since this folder takes just a few bytes and ensures maximum standards compatibility, I cannot see any good reason omitting it...

Last edited:

chronicking

a bit off key

well i know you all probably don't want to read this. it's about Roxio once again, but kind of related to this subject. like i said earlier in this thread i use the classic creator part of the roxio software and start a new data dvdrom compilation and just add the VIDEO_TS folder. well after thinking about it and listening to the arguements of this thread about it, i decided to start adding the AUDIO_TS folder in my compilations. roxio i think burns these dvdr's in the UDF format. none the less it burnt the dvd then it wouldn't play in any player i have. it wouldn't even play in my pc until i went into explorer and found the .vob file and played it manually. now nero adds this audio-ts folder and i have no such probs. i don't know what the diff is maybe nero is not using the same type of UDF format or something i dunno. but words of advice if using roxio classic creator to create yor back ups with data/dvd complations......"DON"T ADD AN AUDIO_TS FOLDER MANUALLY" ......it won't play.......hasta! :eek:

when you added the AUDIO_TS was the writing in upper case "AUDIO_TS" or lower case "audio_ts" !?

i do know that could be an issue

"well i know you all probably don't want to read this. it's about Roxio once again,...." Your right, but the problem lies with Roxie, commonly known as Easy CD Cremator :D Stay with Nero and you wont have problems. I doubt if there would be anyone here that would actually recommend the use of Roxie for anything other than use the disk as a frisbie :D

I doubt if there would be anyone here that would actually recommend the use of Roxie for anything other than use the disk as a frisbie
Wrong
I recommend Cremator <> there are several other uses
Stand yer beer on the disk
Hang em in yer garden to scare off cats
Tie a few together & hang em on the ceiling as a mobile
Smash one with a hammer & play jigsaws

U get the picture

Tie a few together & hang em on the ceiling as a mobile
thats the best use ive seen for naff burns and AOL disks :)

the special needs clinic in town here uses them for exactly that :)

the kids love em :)

chronicking

VIPER_1069 said:
when you added the AUDIO_TS was the writing in upper case "AUDIO_TS" or lower case "audio_ts" !?

i do know that could be an issue
yes it was but i just don't add them any more when using roxio. i backed up a Bond movie today and it didn't even have one straight from the package. i think the compatibility issue with AUDIO_TS folders is a myth or past tense. i don't waste my time with it. using roxio or nero i can play my backed up dvdr+/dvdr- discs noproblems on stand alone player, pc, or PS2. :eek: