which Linux

I am looking to make a dual boot out of my xp machine and wanting everyones input on which Linux to put on. I will be totaly new to Linux but want to try it out.

You don't have to install Linux if you wanna try it out....you can download Knoppix and burn it,it runs fine from cd....if you specify a little location on your harddisk,you can even store it's tweaks and settings on exit...

Knoppix is indeed a great start to get acquainted with Linux... it is one ofe the best distributions out there ( a Lite Debian) with KDE desktop. get it, toy with it for as lonsg as you like, and if you feeel mature making a REAL Linux installation we will be here...

Can't really answer that but i can say what i do.

I run Mandrake and sometime RedHat through VMWare, it is a program that allows to run OS's inside a window as if the OS was an application that you can interact with while logged on Windows.

Knoppix is good but you have to get to the root to enable cd burning and other things.
Do not bother with Knoppix if you have a dual hard drive in RAID0 mode, it won't see the hard drive, that's what happened to me (tried to use it to backup my crashed system and the bugger couldn't see the hard drive, i had Hiren Boot Disc fix that).

You will find some annoyances with Redhat: 1. support will stop at the end of March, 2. the successor named Fedora is still very buggy, 3. It doews not mount at all NTFS partitions right out of the box- needs kernel patching, 4. The software installer is a pain, compared with Debian's apt-get (best out there) or Mandrake's urpmi.
SuSE is very good of course, but if you want "the whole OS"without spending money check Debian- Sarge is 2 DVD's (or 10 CD's) large and downloadable for free. Else Mandrake 9.2 is somewhat buggy, but good overall and the installation is by far the best/cleanest around.

mojo8850 said:
Hmm..

Never heard of knoppix, which version of mandrake guy's..
KNOPPIX is a standalone self running boot disk with no install needed it all runs direct from the cd :)

great for a quick mess about with linux and no worries about installing it :)

VIPER_1069 said:
KNOPPIX is a standalone self running boot disk with no install needed it all runs direct from the cd :)

great for a quick mess about with linux and no worries about installing it :)

Indeed......used to be nr 1 in my book,but since I played around with PcLinuxOS,I don't bother anymore...

PCLinuxOS is tha analogous stuff to Knoppix, but based on Mandrake. It's a superb, highly polished and easy to use liveCD, and installation on harddisk is very easy (putting aside one issue with a few nvidia cards which is manageable). Hardware detection is based on Redhat's kudzu, which is not as good as the Knoppix one.
If you want Debian flavour and installing to harddisk at some time, then Kanotix is a direct Knoppix clone, and much more suitable for harddisk installation- especially on laptops everything comes ready to use right out of the box.

Nice..

Does anyone have any ideas about FEDORE Core 3.
how on earth do i install the graphics drivers for it in Text Mode.

my Graphics Card Is Radeon X800 XT.! :)

Normally the remedy is editing xorg.conf (or XF86config, if you're still not using xorg) and commenting everything referring to "DRI"- and after that killing X (alt+ctrl+backspace) and re-logging at your X environment.
Sorry I cannot help more, but I never used an ATI card under Linux (just Nvidia ones), or anything Fedora related since Core2.