which DVD writer for Laptop

AznStyl

High, I have a gateway 4502sx series and I just wonder which DVD writer would fit best for it. Start from Best to average? Sorry if I post this topic in a wrong forum. I feels this is more appropriate for the topic. Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Anthony.

It depends on what you like best:
1. An internal burner to replace your current CDRW drive?
2. An external slimline lightweight?
3. A normal half height drive in an external USB2 or Firewire case?

If you want internal, then you are going to be limited to what they offer - anmd their site is just about useless!

Why can no technology company EVER get a decent website done?

AznStyl

Well which ever is best, but I prefer an internal more. Scarecrow, I already have a CDRW/DVD drive combo. Now I want a DVDRW (writer). I will take a look to which ever you guys offer. Please name some or site that I can go take a look and what do you guy think of it. Thank You.

Toshiba SD-R 6372 is a nice (and rather cheap) internal DVD burner:
# 4X DVD-/+R Write
# 2X DVD-/+RW Write
# 8X DVD-ROM Read
# 16X CD-R Write
# 10X CD-RW Write HS
# 24X CD-ROM Read

I cannot know how easy it would be to mount it to your notebook... the information provided by the Gateway site is as good as nonexistent.

AznStyl

I've order the toshiba and it did not match my laptop gateway 450SX series. is there any way to mount it in? I'm thinking of returning it.

If I've got the right model, there is NO internal DVD writer upgrade for this model, in fact, it looks like only the M675 has the option.

It looks like your only choice is a USB external - assuming the system is equipped with USB2 High speed, or a PCMCIA card interface (USB2 or possibly firewire) if not.

Then your choice of drives is still rather limited, unless you fit a standard one into a USB2 case.