Which drive suits for me?

O.K. guys and gals, seems my time for buying a DVD writer is coming. :eek: :D

I know there are lots of threads about "Which is the best drive?" but my requirements are different. Mostly I will use it for data storing. So DVD-RAM recording capability seems highly recommended. When I say "data storing", I mean HDD backups too and another point is cleaning my HDD from innumerable lie around PC game images. I know to handle copy protections the other way, so i don't need to backup the protection scheme exactly. :p

I never bought video DVDs and don't own a standalone DVD player, so the possibility to backup such discs is not a claim in first grade. But it may be desirable someday. That's why I don't know if I can abandon dual layer capability too. :confused:

For CD burning I will stay with my Yamaha F1, so the DVD device might be the worst Audio CD ripper/writer ever. :cool:

what i like to do:
- data storing
- HDD backups
- burning DVD PC games

not really needed:
- DVD-Video backup abilities
- dual layer capability
- standalone player compatibility

fully unneeded:
- Audio-CD capabilities
- CD overburning ability

Greetings from
Duracell

If you want DVD-RAM (the best rewrite format, certainly), then there aren't many options other than LG

LG GSA-4120B Review - 12x +R, 8x -R, 5x DVD-RAM, 4x on both RW formats - and 2.4x on DVD+R9

But is it a GOOD drive....
Poor CD error correction, but that doesn't bother you
Not bad on the DVD correction read, other than one drop, it held speed very well.
Backups - SD 2.8, SD2.9 with EFM, 3.1 not possible.

Jumping to the important bit, DVD
6/8/12 Z-CLV for +R, 6/8 Z-CLV for -R (should be quick, as many drives start at 4x)
8x -R scans pretty good, some 4x media didn't agree with it though.
12x +R scans, excellent, 8x & 4x pretty good, a few medias not handled well

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=9931&PageId=18
The real ouch! - DVD-RAM performance - MISERABLE!

Looks like you should wait it out to the next generation of DVD-RAM

thanks for your reply, LTR; :)
my dealer does already have the successor LG GSA 4160B in stock; would cost 109€ (67GBP); 5x DVD-RAM writing speed is promised again; unfortunately CDRifo doesn't have a review yet; would have to pay 95€ (58GBP) for the LG GSA 4120B; so i'm still a little bit vacillating; :confused:

The question that hangs over DVD-RAM, is that it is very much a niche market thing - only a small clique or writers support it, and you can't bank on reader support either.

The plus point, is a huge number of rewrites, compared to any other format.

The competion to DVD-RAM, in rewrite, includes various methods of defect management - a pity no DVD writers support Mt. Rainier, but there are a few that have other ways. Can't find the review I was thinking of.

-RAM is the way to reliable data backups (reliability pretty close to 100%) for sure. The performance is not miserable, just the way -RAM makes defect management is slow. The real con is the RAM disks' price! And of coursse you'll find out that the majority of DVD-ROM drives cannot read DVD-RAM media.

Last edited:
scarecrow said:
... And of coursse you'll find out that the majority of DVD-ROM drives cannot read DVD-RAM media.
i know, mate; the DVD-RAM backups are primary thought for my machine; if other people can not handle my media, it shouldn't bother me; :p :D

O.K. guys, did order the "LG GSA 4120B" online for 75€ + 5€ shipping just now; saves 15€ compared to my local dealer; :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your comments! :)

my LG GSA-4120B arrived today; unfortunately it was poorly packed; i don't know if it's really O.K., or if it got some shocks more than adequate; :mad:

bought some Maxell 4x DVD-R juwel case this week, because LG recommends Maxell -R; these were the only discs available here from LG's compatibility list;
Nero reports i got Ritek branded as Maxell instead; :mad: ct' wrote Ritek are a no-go with the 4120B and 4160B; :(

so it tried Nero "CD-DVD Speed" with these media and got 1.48% red = unreadable blocks; the drive isn't supported by CD-DVD Speed's Media quality test, so i can't verify my results; :(

got some (LG recommended) Panasonic DVD-RAMs too; Would a test with these media be more reliable? Any ideas how to check the drive? i like to know if i have to send back the drive; :confused:

O.K. back in business; during vacation i got c't recommended media: "Intenso DVD+R 8x" which are in fact Prodisc R03.8; the first test worked, no unreadable sectors anymore; :)
now i have to find a mate with a CD-DVD Speed Media quality test supported drive, to verify my results at his machine;

Prodisc are generally regarded as fine Q budget media.
Too bad that my Sony DRU-500a just does not like them (it just manages to burn the Intenso/Prodisc -R media, but at just 2x instead of 4x...), and my laptop Toshiba burner can only use -R...