Which drive is good to buy??

My nec3540a just died,so i checked the store and i found a new lg h10 which is 16 times and model 22 which is 18x speed.
Also there are liteons with 16x and 18x speed..
There are lightscribe models and regular-which are better,i never had a lightscribe so i dont know nothing about-does it require special media,is it media regular or special-like more expensive??
Any info is helpfull,make it fast if you can as i got to burn few dvds:)

Lightscribe and labelflash are two competing (and incompatible) labelling technologies. The "wow" factor of labelling in the drive, is rapidly superceded by the "groan" factor of how SLOW it is to produce a monochrome image of rather indifferent quality - and it does need special media (expensive) to use the labelling function.

Lightscribe is an extra feature - you can use the drive with normal media and ingnore the feature, but I sure wouldn't bother paying any extra for it - though if my drive had it, I'd probaly do 1 or 2 for novelty factor.

The lightscribe model in the same "family" is unlikely to perform differently to the non-LS model in normal use.

LG or Liteon though, that's a toughie.

18x versus 16x ? - on most media, an "18x" drive will actually be a 16x, since the 18x speed is normally reserved (and probably foolish to use otherwise) for a few premium grade media ID's.

I think i would have gone for one of the liteon 18x(Lite-On LH-18A1P?)
Afaik lg dont have dvdrw bitsetting or disc quality scan capability.
Two things id like to have :)

Master

Gold Member
I have a LiteOn 1635S and a LG 4163B and i can´t see no difference in writing quality. But to see that your drive must be able to make quality scans.

The LiteOn can make quality scans (Kprobe or Nero CD-DVD Speed) and the LG can´t make quality scans.

So my advice is a LiteOn 18xxx or 20xxx...maybe a cheap 16xx6S will do it too ;)

Last edited:
Cant seem to find any reviews atm.
But it looks ok, although id check to see if its firmware is updated still.
:)

i'd say go 4 samsung writemaster 18x :)
bought one since my pi 107 no longer able to burn my discs correctly

Master

Gold Member
@Zver

i think the SHW160P6S is a good choice.

Codeking made some good firmwares for it....you will find them at PC-GUY`s preferd CD/DVD forum. Hmmm i know that you will find them :D :D

@Zver

i think the SHW160P6S is a good choice.

Codeking made some good firmwares for it....you will find them at PC-GUY`s preferd CD/DVD forum. Hmmm i know that you will find them :D :D
I wouldn't touch anything from codeking. The sad part about him is he's breeding, God helps us all!!!!
If anything I would recommend you spam the place!!!:D