What's the verdict on SP1?

I own a copy of XP Home so I'm not worried about any activation issues. Just wanting some info about SP1 before I go through the trouble of installing it.

Is it good, bad, or somewhere in between?

It *appears* to work just fine for me.. I haven't had one issue w/ it.. I would go ahead and install it..

If you're worried about 'the man' ie: Microsoft checking out your machine, then use Computer Management and kill auto-update..

@jerry

you might be able to kill auto-update...but if you use M$ update site then M$ will able to turn the damn thing on AGAIN...heh, also wait for oct 5 for the new wpa (search for forum for more info)...also sp1 (normal version) allows M$ to snoop on everything you do on your box! :(....

try and get your hands on sp1 corporate...no new eula, snooping, checjing reg / pid no.

I basically had enough of sp1 issues....no more comment from me :D

dx

I for one will not install XP SP1...at least for the time being anyway. There are a few new bugs introduced in SP1 and there is some nasty spyware integrated in this service pack (for more details do a search for SP1 especially look for forum member pokopiko's postings on the subject). Both he an I are BIG advocates of not installing it for the time being...mabey later, but certainly not now.

Besides, most of the bug fixes and updates in SP1 are available at Windows Update. So you don't have to install SP1 to get them.

Do a search of this Forum, read the posts...but in the end it's you who must decide. ;)

I have bad experience my self and don´t recommend anyone with a working XP to install the SP1. Most of the fixes are available from Windows Update. However one major change in SP1 is the option to un-install IE, Outlook Express, Messenger etc. I think this has to do with the legal actions taken against MS in US.

LaZorMan

Her is the Categorized List of Fixes in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) , you can download them saperate:
---http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/ServicePacks/Windows/XP/SP1FixList.asp---

spycat has not had one negative thing with sp1. however if you can edit your startup group after sp1 install, you will find things like "msspy" and one other thing that were not there before. don't know what they were, but deleted them and everything runs just fine.

spycat not believe in slipstreamed sp1 xp cd's yet. like to have option to change after and do whatever. don't know what sp1 added or took away but all is still well.