What is normal temp for 2.4 P4

What is the "normal" temperature for a P4, what is the "ideal" temp and when should I worry, I have used AMD in the past and I've heard that Intel is supposed to be a lot cooler

Yes, it is a lot cooler... but the temperature depends on the usage.
On my P IV 1.8G/256 MB Linux server the CPU temperature never exheeds 45 degrees Celsius, but it only runs services- and quite sparsely administrating applications. With 3D gaming and video editing, it would surely run much hotter...

Well at the moment it is 42 degrees with Setiathome running. when idle it is often about 34ish (and is using Intel heatsink+fan)

Those temps are perfectly OK, you shouldn't worry at all. Even 55 Celsius for limited time is acceptable. Just check back the temps at summer, when they will be quite higher.

Mr Snatcher

At idle I am running at 40 degress celcius. About 46 running halo and video ripping. I am also overclocking by 300mhz. I have a p4 2.6 running at 2.9ghz with the stock heatsink and fan. Also have 2 fans blowing out in the rear, 2 in front blowing in and 1 on the side blowing in. As mentioned by scarecrow in the summer it will raise but I wouldnt be alarmed.