What hard disk do you use?

I am thinking of purchasing a new hdd (my how they fill up quickly). My current drive is a WD 120GB (8mb cache) and so far it has been a good performer, I was just wondering what make of drive everyone else uses and which ones are a good choice

SATA Seagate for system and a couple of IBM/Hitachi in RAID for capturing video, before the Seagate I used Quantum fireball (wich now is Maxtor) and it is still working without a glitch in another pc, a friend of mine is using Maxtor and never had a problem.

The only ones I stay away from is IBM they have to high of a failure rate. Other than that I used Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital. I really don't have preference. Good luck with what ever you buy. :cool:

i always bought maxtor ...
old 20gb (udma66) in my server
80 gb (diamond max plus 9, ata133, 2mb cache), 120 gb and 160 gb (both diamond max plus 9, sata, 8mb cache) in my main pc
never had a single problem with them
malcontent said:
my how they fill up quickly
youre so right :)
forti

The good old "IBM Deathstar"! - the GXP75 range was a disaster, and a couple of the others are somewhat suspect
http://www.geocities.com/dtla_update/ - the 40GV models have the same bug, and the other models seem to be in need of the same type of firmware fix.

Mind you, if you got a good one, they were fast drives, but they pushed the technology too far, too quickly.

I've also seen a Quantum Fireball that had "fireballed" one of the chips, and that's apparently not uncommon. Fujitsu also had a problem with defective chip packaging at one time, resulting in possible failure.

I don't want to tempt fate, but I've never actually had a drive die on me - I've usually upgraded to a bigger drive way too soon for that!

I've tried them all in scsi & ide flavours and after previous disasters i now only have maxtor or ibm drives, i have never had a maxtor or ibm fail on me...maybe i have just been lucky lol.
hmmmm that's prolly jinxed me now lol :)

All my disks are Maxtors (4 of them), ban one (120G WD) on my server. One of them on my workstation is SATA.
All of them give me no probs up to date, touch wood...

1 quantum 2 maxtor here (2 40 GB, 1 120GB ATA 100, with maxtor ATA 100 PCI card), no probs so far. I tend to buy the biggest available at the time, and they always tend to be filled as fast as they grow

Last edited:
2 maxtor hdd ,40gb & 60gb,ata100 on my mobo....however,it's the 60gb(1 yr newer than the 40gb) that gives me the impression it will b the first 2 go 2 hell :D

Ok in my desk top I have two Seagates 13GB and a 30GB and had these now for some 4 to 5 years no problems yet. I also have a Lacie firewire 200GB which use's WD 200GB (8mb cache) had this for now 18 months there abouts likewise no problems to date. All I can say is the Seagates have been working very hard indeed with no added cooling installed (1 fan on PSU)

I have my IBM 60gig (about 5 years old now), a Seagate 80g SATA (now my main drive & 18m old) and a Seagate 120g (about 2 years old) for capturing and converting. All get a very hard time indead and generally running 24hrs a day. As above, I've never actaully had a HD died on me either. Hope that didnt jinx me !!!! :D

C

Coolhandflex

Now on my 3rd Maxtor, never had a problem with any of them. They're quick, reliable and like Plextor they have a good returns policy, which, although I haven't had to use it, its nice to know that its there...

I'm Maxtor for life now...

P4 2.8 800mhz
512mb PC3200 DDR
Asus P4P800se MB
Plextor Premium CDRW
Creative Encore x6 DVD
80gig Maxtor Sata HD 7200rpm
Gainward FX5600 Ultra Golden Sample
SBLive 5.1
Antec 300w PSU