What do %s and %d do in the command line using LAME?

Hi guys,

I use EAC and haven't changed the settings for the Lame executable in ages. So, having a look at the command line shows --alt-preset extreme %s %d

I cannot remember what or why I have the %s and %d there. Can anybody explain this?

Ah, I didn't know that. Somebody from this forum gave that to me but I couldn't remember the who or the why.

You do realise that --alt-preset extreme is just an alias for --alt-preset 320, i.e. 320CBR, at least that is how I understand it.

You might want to try --alt-preset standard --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" %h %s %d instead, unless you really feel the need for 320k files.

INSANE is the 320CBR one (though it may have additional options included, like nspsytune)

EXTREME - is the maximum quality VBR option - transparent to ABX-ing except on known "LAME killer" samples which may even defeat CBR320.

dx said:
Mighty fine to see you around these parts again bud! :)

dx, it's been a while hasn't it? Good to see you too. Don't know how I strayed away from this place for so long.

@LTR do you happen to know where I can find what all of the %'s and extra parameters mean? It's easy to find the presets, but I'm clueless on the rest.

Wedge said:
@LTR do you happen to know where I can find what all of the %'s and extra parameters mean? It's easy to find the presets, but I'm clueless on the rest.
I'm not LTR, but:
If you've got the whole Dibrom 3.90.3 package from Hydrogen Audio (other versions contain the documentation as well) you can find the whole bunch of switches in the files switchs.html and id3.html.

Last edited:
The EAC configuration flags are covered in FAQ.TXT

Q:Which flags can I use in the external compression scheme "User Defined
MP3 Encoder"?
A:In the field "Additional command line options" you could use
replacements for the selectable options :
%s Source filename
%d Destination filename
%h...%h Text "..." only when "High quality" selected
%l...%l Text "..." only when "Low quality" selected
%c...%c Text "..." only when "CRC checksum" selected
%r Bitrate ("32".."320")
%a CD artist
%g CD title
%t Track title
%y Year
%n Track number
%m MP3 music genre
So a command line would look like (for l3enc)

%s %d -br %r000 %h-hq%h %c-crc%c

The extension can also be selected for this setting.

One way to use two presets, would be to set them as the "high quality" and "low quality" entries, and leave out the bitrate altogether.

If you like to encode at EXTREME, but occasionally want to save a bit more space, you could have EXTREME as HQ and STANDARD as LQ - or if you want archival and portable, maybe EXTREME and something a lot lower (preset (number) is average bitrate).

Some of the other options would need to be used in conjunction with the LAME options for ID3 tagging - to set names and things...