Vob editing

Hi guys :)

A friend of mine has kindly asked me if i would edit a home video from a dvd for them. The DVD has been authored correctly (in the sense thats it plays on a stand alone), however, there are a few blank pauses which he wants cutting out! I've ripped the disc using DVD Decrypter, creating a series of vob files to my HDD.

How can I best edit out these bits, what software would be recommended for this!

Re-authoring isn't a problem for me, I use Tmpgenc DVD Author 3.

Thanxxx

Best would be to use VobEdit to demux out the video and audio tracks as 2 individual files. (In Vobedit, load in the first 1gb vob file of the movie, normally VTS_01_1.VOB, click Demux button, then tick the Demux All Video streams and Demux All Audio stream boxes. Click OK, point to a folder where u want them and sit back for a while).

Load the above 2 files into TDA3, click Cut-Edit tab and then use the buttons to mark out the bit you dont want. Hit the scissors button and repeat if more than one bit needs to be edited. Then do everything else you need to the movie(ie chapters/subs/ect) and compile. Done :)

Hello CM :)

Having problems with this one!
Demuxed m2v and ac3 with no problems and both play fine in Windows Media Player!

However, there's a problem when loaded into TDA3. On the cut/edit screen, 23 mins into the video the frames become split....showing 2 different images in each frame. Also the time scale is incorrect, only displaying 28 mins in TDA3 and 1hr40mins with WMPlayer.

Tried demuxing again, only to have the same issues!

Thanxs for helping me!

Pardon me for butting in again, just cant help myself ;) :)

Sounds like a bug in tmpgenc dvdauthor or an error in the stream.
Do you have the latest version of dvdauthor? The first versions of the 3 series was kinda buggy in my experience, later seem much better.

Theres two similar functions in dvdlab (pro) called skip next chapter or skip selection, or you can make a chapter playlist with only those chapters you want, effectively removing playback of the skipped sections.
All three will leave the original stream intact, excellent for anime (3+ minutes of intro/theme song)

Theres a similar cut function in Womble MPEG Video Wizard Dvd too.
This can also export edited streams without reencoding or/and author dvds.

For stream errors i tend to just demux/remux with tmpgenc plus, usually sorts it.

If its not stream related, theres quite a few other "cutters" too but im not quite possitive you can edit out several sections in one go with all of them (i think you can with videoredoplus, and with tmpgenc mpeg editors clip function).
Alternatively you can cut out the sections you want to keep and join the separate clips after, its cumbersome but as long as sync issues dont appear a way to go too, tmpgenc plus is great jobs like that.

Have a look here
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-editors-mpg-dvd
Some free ones too.

:)

Last edited:
Hello bionic :)

I had a good play with this, I don't like to give up a fight but it took some time to get there.....phew!!

It was a stream related problem as i also tried importing into DVD-Lab Pro and had the same issues! Also demuxing gave me sync problems, trying to demux each vob in turn!
I imported the vob set into TDA3 (3.0.8.158) giving me 8 title sets which I could link up! As this was my first time editing/cutting, it took me a while (being blonde and all) to work this out BUT I got there Haha!
However, found the authoring/finalising to be verrrrrrrry slow indeed! I just left it to it but i guess it took about 2 hours!? Usually with TSUNAMI-MPEG DVD Author PRO, that would take about 20mins! Strange????

Anyways, all turned out well and I learned something new!
Thanx a lot boys ;)

Emxxx

Sounds like it did some reencoding instead of just authoring the streams.
But there you go..good job :)

Last edited:
Sorry, been away on some R&R down in Tasmania.

Home made DVD's can be a real problem unfortunately, its the crappy programs that most use to create them in the first place :(

I've been using TDA3 ver 3.0.9.166 for some time now without any probs. In fact, I'm using it right now :)

gem_collector

vob editing

hello friends,
I am totally new to this forum. I have a problem. I have a .VOB file. I want to cut out some portion of first VOB file as i do not want it. Also i want to know how to join two .VOB files into a single one. Please suggest some userfriendly software for it. Also it must be free