Vista Ultimate 32Bit..arrghh

Master

Gold Member
Okay i am the g-pig and bought Vista Ultimate system builder 32bit for 185 Euros.

Asrock 938 dual sata with Nvidia 7800GT pci express.

No support for the onboard jmicron sata2 port...only native ide support

Only bad working drivers (beta) for my Soundblaster xifi music, no eax and no
dts.

Epson scan wasn´t working untill today..Epson released new drivers for the epson scanner 3950 today.

Unstable beta drivers for the nvidia graphics card.

Hauppauge WInTV PCI software isn´t working with Vista...freeware KTV2 does the trick

Bad working lan drivers for the onboard uli lan chip...beta drivers from the Asrock 939 vsta board are working for the 939 dual sata too ;)

No support for AMD cool and quiet.

I am not very pleased with this OS.

What's your experiences ?

Last edited:

Seb

So far so good over here. I got most drivers up and running for my lappy. Maybe you should give them time to release the new drivers.

I'm crying off until at least Vista SP1, maybe later, maybe never, though if I was getting a machine now, I'd want either Vista (home premium) or MCE with a Vista upgrade ticket.

I had a play with the ultimate version & didnt like what i saw, sure it might look good but are looks really worth all the drm anti everythin crap in it.

Also noticed that the aero theme has me graphics cards fan goin full tilt even on just the welcome screen (SLi setup).

To me it is just bloat (aboot 15gig HD space needed to install) & the main new security feature UAC is just plain annoyin & most will turn it off kinda defeatin the point o it :rolleyes:

Add to the fact that a lot of the beta drivers out for it are as master has noted buggy as hell despite it gettin released tomorrow, VistaME anyone :D

BaNzI :D

Just had a quick go in vmware.
Didnt really appreciate the experience, but then again i didnt like xp at first either ;) well..i dont really like it still, but im too comfortable with my fav apps to switch to linux and the other alternative is win2k imo and i must admit xp is a smoother ride now that the drivers have had time to mature somewhat.
Sooner or later ill get myself a new main system(to much development going on on the hardware front still imo and prices are still ridiculous here when your living on a student loan) and depending on price and other consumer experiences i guess im going to use it (or finally take the linux plunge :D)

Last edited:
I DOUBT I will take the plunge its not an essential item for me at mo :)

@banzi use the VISTA transformation pack if you really want the glass look without the hassles and still have XP under the hood :)

installed 64bit ultimate edition,but it killed off my grub bootloader...was missing my cool n quiet & some other apps but had to removed it since i've got a BSOD,with my winxp n ubuntu unable to boot
cleaned all os,now with winxp only...will wait 4 some time b4 taking the dive again :D :p

Although I had no hardware/support issues other than drivers for an old Logitech mouse I'm partial to, there are still far too many oddities that remain unsolved to make it feasable at this time to risk using it as my main means of computing. Hopefully in say - 6 months or so, support wil be much better as far as drivers go (tho I read MS raised their tech support rates by $20 an hour in honor of Vista).

I tried Ultimate unregged (no serial number, effectively 30-day trial) at my main box ( Core 2 Duo 6600, Asus P5B mainboard, Nvidia 7600GS GPU, 2xSATA HD's, 1X NEC 3570 Atapi CD-ROM, Echo Audio Mia audiocard). I used the 32-bit version, as the only thing I would gain with the 64-bit one in that system is annoyances, software-wise, and no performance gains.
Results were very dissapointing:
- Same as Master with the onboard Jmicron controller.
- Surprisingly enough the Echo Mia was working with the XP drivers, but the latency wasn't even half as good as under XP.
- The onboard Realtek 8168 gigabit ethernet card was encountering some 10-15% packet loss.
- The whole desktop was crashing randomly whenever I enabled the nview window manager.
- Aero wasn't even half as good as AiGLX under Linux... and by the way I even find AiGLX annoying in the long run.
- The burner was randomly resetting itself to PIO4 mode, and refusing to return to UDMA status.
Oh, and by the way they are slow as hell- not even a hint of the snappiness of my Arch Linux desktop which I use as default, and certainly much slower than 2000 and XP.

They lasted for almost one week, and after that... hasta la vista, baby...
Maybe after SP2- who knows... but certainly enough not earlier.

Last edited: