Video transfer help request

I have several videos I recorded over the years on vhs tape at the slowest speed from cable tv broadcast. Approximately 6 hrs on each tape with 3 to 4 videos each. I would like to transfer these videos to dvd to be playable on my standalone philips dvd player with divx and mp4 playing capability.

I would like to capture the video to my computer so I believe I need a video capture card as I will like to convert the videos to divx or mp4 format as I would like to fit about 4 videos on a single dvd.

Which card or device will give the best picture. I read on many forums that the ati may be better than the hauppage but has driver issues. I will be using windows xp and can download the drivers for that os.

Some of the cars I’m considering alonf with the Ads
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE
ATI TV Wonder 550 PCI Personal Video Recorder

ADS dvd xpress dx2

Thanks in advance.:)

I would like to capture the video to my computer so I believe I need a video capture card ...
you are right you need a video capture card; i don't have one so i can't decide about Haupauge or ATI;
but a general hint is buy an "active" one; "active" means the card has it's own video encoding processor and doesn't abuse the CPU;

Greetings from
Duracell

I made a lot of transfers like those you´re going to make (all Batman Beyond tv episodes) and my personal experience is this:

If you want the best quality possible then a premium class capture card is needed. ( the big models from pinnacle and stuff like that)

Now since your tapes are recorded in the slowest speed then a top quality card is not much sense so with your option the Hauppauge card used in conjuntion with Virtualdub and a few free plugins will give excelent results.

Checkout the guides at doom9.org there you can learn step by step the procedures and that can give you a better idea of what card you need to buy for you porpouses.