Very slow ripping...

I have a problem when ripping DVDs : it's very slow.

Here's my configuration : win 2000 pro, Nero ASPI layer, Pioneer DVD 103S (read 6X, manage to rip at 1,2 X with smartripper), Pioneer burner DVR-A03 (read 6X, manage to rip at 2X with smartripper). I think my DVD-ROM is a bit old, that's why it is slower than my brand new DVD burner. But I don't understand why I can't rip faster. It should be nearly 6X, isn't it ? I tried other rippers and have the same problem.

If anyone can help...

Thanks a lot !

Actually no. Those that say they are ripping at 16X with a 16X DVD-ROM drive are either joking/lying/or just have the occassional spinup of those times. For the majority at 16X DVD-ROM drive will be ripping at around 5-9x. Sometimes you are able to go up higher (12X steady the whole time), but usually only a few seconds from time to time do you get the full 16X.
Your reader of 6x should be giving your speeds of around 2-4x on average.
I don't know about the Nero ASPI layer (some like it), but I would just try switching to the 4.60 instead (force if you must). Also your DVD-ROM drive should have DMA mode enabled (this also tends to speed things up).
Hope that helps (you can always try getting a newer DVD drive as they are much cheaper now).

PS
Pioneer is also not known for their speeds

Thanks for the answer. DMA is on for both of them. I'll try to force 4.60 ASPI layer. I guess I need something like forceaspi. Do you know where I can download it ?

As for changing my DVD drive, I'm not sure I'll do it soon. In fact, I have luck it was region free when I bought it. As I'm not really strong enough to upgrade the firmware, I think I'll stay like this. In fact, 4X would be really fine for me...

ya, you can download it either at the main site I think or just by using our search functions.
Just do a simple search (eg: force aspi/ or aspi/ or aspi layer).
Feeling generous today though, so you can use the one I do (follow simple instructions) :

Attachments

I just realized one thing : I checked my ASPI layer, and I already have the 4.60 version... But my old DVD drive is not in Ultra DMA mode but only DMA, and the DVD burner in ULtra DMA mode. So what to do next ?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

E

elpresidente

hey mate ---> A03 speed

Read Speed DVD-ROM (Single) Max. 4X-CAV (5,54 MB/s)

Read Speed DVD-ROM (Dual) 2X-CLV (2,77 MB/s)

Read Speed DVD-R, DVD-RW 2X-CLV (2,77 MB/s)

üsse

E

elpresidente

hmm..try to play a little bit with your settings ... if this doesn´t change anything ... get a new drive ... ;)

üsse

Well... I'd like to try to change some settings. The question is which settings can I change ? It sounds like a newbe question, but I'm a newbe in this topic.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

I would suggest you try turning DMA on for your Pioneer, however, a lot of old 6x units were not DMA capable (my Hitachi 6x was not !) Therefore your stuck with a slow rip until you upgrade the unit.